Largest Mortgage possible vs small Mortgage and owning a home outright sooner?

depending on when you bought an excellent house in an excellent location might have been a lot more affordable than it is now.

For mortgages I typically borrow as much as I can for as long as I can at as low an interest rate as I can on the house I have in mind. My reasoning is that capital that I hold back from contributing to the mortgage can be put to work in investing at a significantly higher rate (even after capital gain tax is account for)
You cited a tax free capital gain of simple 3.3% per annum in your example above.

Very broad strokes: invest your retained capital in the S&P500 index and based on historical simple returns since 1957 you'll average out 10.5% return per annum before tax.

In short we're talking about opportunity cost here.

Oh & reconsider going for a bigger house if that is where your head is at. I predict that in the future there will be deeper penalties / higher carbon taxes for people living in larger houses similar to those that drive larger engine/ higher emission cars.

Last edited:
depending on when you bought an excellent house in an excellent location might have been a lot more affordable than it is now.
The point still stands. You don't need to get the best house in the best location you can afford.

And in any case we only bought a few years ago so they were not a lot more affordable than now.

The point still stands. You don't need to get the best house in the best location you can afford.

And in any case we only bought a few years ago so they were not a lot more affordable than now.
Where i am in the 5 years since i bought the prices have increased 40% (based on a recent sale v what the house was purchased for new) id argue that is a substantial difference.

Anyway i think we disagree, if its affordable to you you should get the best you can, but i dont just see my house as somewhere to clean, i enjoy living in it and the surrounding area, if you have a more utilitarian view then you can make a more pragmatic financial decision.

I remember a secondary school teacher back in the early 80s authoritatively telling us that when it came to buying a house we should all borrow and buy as big as possible. I disagreed with him then. I still disagree with that as a general rule of thumb.

I think you're missing my point.

I enjoy living in my house. The surrounding area is excellent. The local services and public transport are excellent (for Ireland). I'm not settling for less to save a few pennies.

My point is that I didn't need to buy the best house I could afford to get that.

And in the context of this thread I think the same could be said of the OP.

But yes - we disagree.

thats not clear from the opening post. He said he could buy a nice 3 bed semi in cork, that may not be in his preferred suburb. Also with 2 kids a 3 bed is going to be at the lower end of comfortable for a family of 4 size wise imo.

i could have spent half what i did and had little or no mortgage but it would have to be in a different location. there hasnt been a day that i looked back and thought i should have done that.

you were in the fortunate position of being able to get a house that you felt suited you in a location you liked, so i assume your only consideration then was whether or not to get a bigger house in the same area?

Your teacher was close but not quite right:

Should borrow and buy as big as possible for the house you want & can afford. So max out the mortgage credit line as far as you can for the house that you want & can afford.
I'd agree with that.

Your teacher was close but not quite right:

Should borrow and buy as big as possible for the house you want & can afford. So max out the mortgage credit line as far as you can for the house that you want & can afford.
I'd agree with that.
I also agree but that's quite different to what he advised.

It's interesting how different people see this in such different ways.

Assuming future income was "safe", and employment /career progression prospects reasonably good, I'd be going for the max homeloan, to get the best house that I could buy.

Your home is not an investment, its the place where you live, maybe raise a family, and find long term happiness. As such, it's down to a question of quality of life, not return on investment. I'd want to live in the nicest, best located house, that I could afford, and think it's worth paying a premium to try and get a home that you really like.

What's the point in "settling" for a house that you may not really like, or in a location that you don't really like, possibly having a longer commute, limited infrastructure, possible social issues etc.?

It's all of those.
Including an investment.

It's not an investment - you need to factor in the cost of providing accommodation, which is a basic life-long need, unlike with investments. You don't acquire a home with the sole intention to generate a net positive cashflow, or future gain on the capital.

What's the point in "settling" for a house that you may not really like, or in a location that you don't really like, possibly having a longer commute, limited infrastructure, possible social issues etc.?
I've been the most vocal in saying that you don't need to spend your full mortgage approval amount to get the best house possible.

I certainly didn't and wouldn't suggest settling on something less than ideal and I don't think anyone else has suggested this either.

Of course it's an investment.
Doesn't matter that it's not solely an investment.

Of course it's an investment.
Doesn't matter that it's not solely an investment.
Is no more an investment then when you get dragged into a jewellery shop to buy your partner a very expensive peice if jewellery

I would disagree, it is definitely part of the equation.

Just a random glance at those people who bought houses in good areas of South Dublin many decades ago, waking up in their 60's and 70's finding out that their house is worth north of 1 million euro....and that gain is all tax-free.
Not the end-all and be-all, but certainly should be part of the equation.

The question is how big is that opportunity cost going to be in the coming years? Given the highs the market is at today, and with both QE being tapered off and interest rate rises already occurring, overpaying a mortgage, with an equivalent after-tax return of 3.3%, isn't a bad idea for most people, at least until the results of the above play out.