Large saloon Vs Estate Vs MPV as family car?

Centless

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could give me their opinions / reasons on picking an estate or large saloon car over an MPV as a family car (2 adults + 3 kids) or visa versa. I am currently thinking that the new model mondeo with it's huge boot is more than enough but if anyone has any solid advice I'd be grateful!!

For safety reasons go for MPV, All children get decent size seat. Also if any are in booster or baby seat they fit much better in MPV's. Another point especially if under 3's you have to lift into seats this hurts your back in saloons or hatch’s. Also the cabin room is far better in MPV's they are also easier to park then hatches. Finally you are higher up which gives a better driving experience.

I've gone from saloon to mid-size MPV and will probably go to estate next. The versatility of the MPV over the saloon is great. Kids not having to lift their head to see out the window is a plus for them. With the kids getting bigger, I think the estate would be a happy medium

A big saloon would be fine. When the kids - 3, and they were all under five at one time! - were small I'd an A6 - and I'd never any bother fitting half the house into the boot (now that's a boot!).

It can depend on the age of your children. We have a Passat saloon, a baby and a toddler and will soon be changing car. Like many saloons, the Passat slopes from the centre of the roof towards the tail and the net effect is to make the rere door opening lower and narrower. If you're reaching in to seat a toddler (think three stone sack of struggling potatoes) you really don't need to be leaning in and down. Anything with uncomprised rere door openings and/or a bit of height is better for the health and safety (less time with door open and back to the road) of all concerned.

Thanks all,

I think I am going to steer clear of mpv's -for the moment anyway! Thinking of settling on a 2L new model Mondeo TDCi. Has a huge boot and there is ample room in the back for 2 baby seats and 1 booster, which is what I will have for about 6 months anyway, at which time it moves to 2 boosters.