Large Letterbox?

Kate.Dot

Hello,

As I work from home, I often receive large packages in the post for work. I'm currently renovating an old house so these are being delivered to my old address at the moment but I'll need a new door with a larger than normal post box soon!
My question is this- I'll probably have the door made, will they think I'm nuts if I ask for an extra large post box... possibly with a latch on the inside to lock it at night?

Has anyone seen one or have any ideas?

would you not be worried that it may make it easier for someone to break in during the day when your not home?Could you maybe fit a letter box externally?

You'll need to have the door made, as it would require very heavy rails to allow a large cut out without compromising the structure. Might end up looking quite ugly. You might be better off with a separate external box?
Leo

Have you thought about cutting the box into the wall at the side of the door? A bit like the late deposit hatch at the bank.

The problem is that the front door opens directly onto the street and as it's terraced cutting into the outer wall is not an option. This is also why I need an opening in the door as it's not very safe to have packages left on the doorstep.

Leo, I'd say the opening I'd need would only be about three times the width of a standard letterbox, would this still need the heavy rails you mentioned?

Leo, I'd say the opening I'd need would only be about three times the width of a standard letterbox, would this still need the heavy rails you mentioned?

I would think so, you wouldn't be left with much to support the structure of the door at that rate. Anyone in the business of making doors should be able to advise what you can get away with.
Leo

I dont suppose you could use a modified catflap? I presume these are lockable.

I dont suppose you could use a modified catflap? I presume these are lockable.

you would have to have a collection box on the otherside of the door, i wouldn't fancy leaving a big flap unlocked when i'm out, at work. this would mean the door would have to be strong enough to hold a box on the inside and not be compromised by a large letter box.

i think it is possible, but at a fairly hefty price.

Making any size of a letter opening in a new door is a simple straight forward option for a good joiner. Properly made there is no structural problems for the door. What is the size of the opening you need. Properly positioned cross rails, or even vertical rails are the solution for the ope size. Letter box covering may have to be specially fabricated, but again its do-able.

sabre

Last edited:
Looks like this might work for you [broken link removed]

Amazon sell them but won't deliver to Ireland.

There are some stockists listed in Ireland but none near me so I haven't tried it out yet. Looks good though.

Hope that helps.

I could of course get a PO box or redirect my mail but that would defeat the purpose really.

Thanks for all the brilliant advice, Sabre it was great to hear that you think it can be done. Also, I'm seriously considering that Parcel Safe, although it might be too big to be jutting out on the street.

Thanks a million for all your suggestions!

Kate.Dot,

I know it can be done, just for the record I speak from 25 years experience in joiner. Good joiner can do anything with timber, all he has to do in the making of the door is to leave out a panel or glass where your letter box is going, and fit the letterbox cover, simple really.

sabre

I would think so, you wouldn't be left with much to support the structure of the door at that rate. Anyone in the business of making doors should be able to advise what you can get away with.
Leo

sounds about right

You dont need a mid rail to support the door structure. What about a skeleton door, top and bottom rail only, there is no mid rail. If you are talking about placing a letterbox in the middle of the door, instead of cutting out a midrail for the letter box, you install two rails the width of a door stile at a set distance apart to form the letterbox height. And the width of the letterbox is from the doorstile shoulder to the other stile shoulder. Simple really. If this does not give you enough width, you might choose to use the same rules , but go vertical instead.

Structural integrity of the door is maintained by a single haunched tenon at each end of the top rail, and a double haunched tenon at each end of a wider bottom rail.

sabre