Laragchon, Lucan

Snowballs

HI

Anyone any experience of this estate, the houses look lovely, but are the walls paper thin?

What schools like in the parish etc

All info. greatly appreciated.

Tanx

It has the reputation of being one of the best new estates in Lucan. In St Mary's Parish so it's great for schools. Short stroll to the village. Can't help you with the walls though. You should check out what the planning is for all the green fields behind the estate.

A good friend of mine bought from the plans. The walls aren't paper thin but whatever way they attached the plasterboard to the dividing wall no insulation was used and the plasterboard acts like a speaker and amplifies noise from next door e.g can hear next door talking in sitting room, bedroom, ensuite etc quite clearly i.e. word for word. Apparently, it is very bad. I know some of the residents got together and went to the builders and some had their houses sound proofed after it was tested by an independant sound engineer. Very messy job new plastering etc etc.

We live very close by and know a few people in the Laraghcon estate - there are some bad points I'll point out:
- The sound proofing story above is right, some residents have had this sorted out (ie. those that complained) and some haven't so it's worth asking the estate agent to find out
- The traffic getting out of the estate is pretty heavy at rush hour they have recently opened the road through Laraghcon and at the junction on the Lucan bridge in the evening it can take 30 mins to get out of the estate into the village as there is gridlock on the bridge and nowhere for cars from the estate to go
- There have been issues with parking spaces - check that your house has designated spaces and how many, we were looking at a 3 bed house there that only had 1 designated space, because we knew people in the estate we didn't go for it as they were having parking problems

Other than those few things, our friends like it - it's quiet, has a good residents association, it's clean and you can walk to the village pubs etc. If you are getting the bus/nitelink it's about a 25 min walk from the bus stop. It's in St. Mary's parish and there are schools nearby - although there is a waiting list I know for the Boys NS (no idea about the others).

Re Traffic - just making the point that until about a month ago getting out of Laraghcon towards the strawberry beds or Lucan village and beyond was a lot quicker than it can be now.

A little birdie tells me it is hell trying to get out of the estate in the mornings. They are thinking about moving out.

I notice that they are at the moment building a footpath along the road beside Laraghcon going towards Westmanstown. Not too much further along the same road there is a bridge where the road crosses the canal and the Maynooth train line. I have also seen planning applications for more houses from the same road on the land past Laraghcon.

The more houses that are build the stronger will be the pressure to open a train station to serve the people. It's a green field site at the moment.

Also note that that the Maynooth line is also getting an upgrade at the moment and there is a new station (Spencer Dock) being built in town specifically to increase capacity on the line.

Lucan is Hell for traffic, biggest blackspot in Dublin (IMO)

Often will take 1 hour to get from Lucan bridge to M50 Roundabout.

Are you driving the same road as me? It takes me at worst 20-25mins to get from there to M50 round about. You mean the bridge at Woodies yeah?

Thats still too much but what can you do as the M50 roundabout is the bottleneck.

I think he means the bridge in the village, beside Laraghcon, near the wier

IMHO...Laragchon is far too expensive much better value in elsewhere in Lucan at the moment....traffic coming out of there is hell too..

I done a lot of work out there. Its a nice estate , but that junction coming out on the Lucan side is terrible!

laraghcon, Lucan

Just noticed that there is a substantial amount of homes in this estate for sale at the moment. Does anyone know any reason why??

There is a substantial amount of houses in all estates in Lucan at the moment.

Well aware that there is a substantial amount of houses for sale in the lucan area however from viewing the Lucan property market for the last few months market Laraghcon never had this many houses for sale. It's not the type of estate that people tend to leave, just wondering if there is any particular reason for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well aware that there are alot of properties for sale in the Lucan area, however from viewing the market for the last couple of months there has never been as much houses for sale in Laraghcon, it doesn't seem to be the type estate that people tend to leave. Just wondering if there is any reason for the increase.

I think the estate is now starting to mature and what normally happens after 5/7 years is people move on or trade up etc. They are fine houses. However some of the gardens I've seen are pretty cosy.

Back