Laptop will not restart & a Virus issue

Pope John 11

Presently my laptop will not allow me online & will not allow me to restart or turn off the laptop.

I have installed Spy Terminator & have found "Trojan.W32.Gavgent" on the laptop.

I then installed AVG but it will not install correctly calling up 1 ERROR "Action failed for file avgemc.exe" & 1 WARNING Prep to unload of the service avg8wd failed".

There also seems to be a conflict between this antivirus software & any other anti virus software I have on the laptop.

At the end of this procedure it asks to reset the laptop, however this seems to be a problem at present.

Help appreciated.

I am not overly sure of this advice, but I have been told in the past that in order to install new anti virus software you have to uninstall any previous antivirus on your system for it to work properly.

The worm is probably stopping you from uploading AVG. It will be senstive to all the usual Norton, Kapersky, etc. Try Malwarebytes which is a very good package. It eliminated viruses on my laptop that McAfee could identify but was unable to remove. Before you do anything else though, turn off system restore otherwise your wormy enemy will still be hiding in there. www.malwarebytes.org it could be worth a try.

Yeah - good point. Although simply turning off should be sufficient rather than doing a full uninstall.

Sometimes infection means that the only way to safely rectify the situation is to do it outside of the PC's Windows installation altogether. Get a live bootable CD virus scanner and run that to clean things up before booting into Windows again. Worked for me recently on a family member's laptop which was riddled with crap. I used a few before reverting to Windows and doing a few more scans there. Took a bit of searching to find them but I did not save the links. Perhaps start [broken link removed].

I had a spyware attack that got through my defences a couple of weeks ago - I think it installed itself though a popup. The first thing I noticed was that my computer rebooted for no reason and then I had a warning about spyware in my system tray which continually tried to get me to install "xp-antivirus" software. An obvious trap, but one which no doubt catches many people.

While researching the symptoms and looking for fixes I discovered that the spyware had played with my OS - disabling windows firewall and forcing my browser to redirect away from helpful sites on spyware/malware like bleeping computer and spybot. It also stopped AVG and Spybot from accessing their update servers.

I found a neat way around the problem of the redirections though - I used free anonimiser sites to access the help forums and to download fixes. Malwarebytes found and removed the installed spyware, allowing me to update my antivirus and spybot software. A second runthrough by these tools identified the source files and removed them from my system.

I hope this helps anyone with the same problem!

(A week later my motherboard failed and I had to rebuild my PC but I think thats unrelated and doesn't detract from my great triumph over the Internet Gremlins)

Cheers for all the replies.

I think I will go the rebootable CD root.

Just need to find out what is the best anti-virus rebootable disc software:(

Try the and bootable CDs. They, and others, helped me clean up the laptop mentioned earlier.

Back