laptop screen gone white

aquila

Since last night the screen of my two year old Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop has gone white (and stayed white) each time it is turned on. I managed to hook it up to a borrowed external monitor and the computer is working ok. Unfortunately it is out of warranty and I really need to get it fixed urgently.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone have an rough idea how much it would cost to fix? Would I be better off simply buying a new laptop?

I have had other issues with the screens of laptops and I've never known them to be quick and/or cheap to replace. Costwise a new Dell laptop will cost you from €700 and it might also be the quickest solution. It would depend on how urgently you need it. Can you work with the external monitor until you get a quote for replacement parts?

Most laptops have the options to output the video signal to the laptop screen, an external monitor/projector, or both at the same time.

Maybe you've chosen to output the signal to an external monitor by accident. On my laptop, function F4 chooses the option. Try messing with this setting before you get the screen replaced.

Thanks, everyone and sorry for taking so long to reply. :)

I checked to see if I had outputted the signal to another monitor by accident, but alas this wasn't the case. Given that my hard drive is almost full, I decided to buy a new Inspiron 6000, which has been dispatched today. I hope it lasts a bit longer than this one!

Back