Laptop problem

kingspoofer

hello,
I have a dell 1501 and it is coming up with battery cant charge as computer fails to recognise it.Rang dell they said its (A). a battery or (B). a motherboard problem which will cost 300 plus.Have bought a new battery will come next week. If I buy a motherboard on ebay is it a big job to change it out ?is it a case of stripping the laptop and replacing it?Any thoughts or replys would be greatful.

I would imagine its a huge job and probably not worth doing. Special heat sink adhesive may be required when changing processor onto new boards. (I know this is required with sony) Also you are in trouble if the changover doesent work. How will you know if motherboard is OK. It may need to be correct/exact type to suit processor. Will BIOS suit your processor? Probably OK but you may need to set..Watch out for straps/U links settings.Your operating system may not like new mother board if there are differences and you may need re-install if motherboard has different chipset. Check the revision numbers. Very high possibility of doing damage to those delicate printed ribbon cables and connectors if not careful. Also electronic devices are static sensitive so avoid wearing nylon shirts/synthetic fibres. Avoid handling connectors. Idealy, tie a wire around your wrist in active hand and connect to laptop earth if you really have to handle electronic components to prevent electrical static discharge.

If you're used to stripping and rebuilding the innards of laptops, go for it.

Its quite a complex job, similar to replacing a car engine.

Except everything is ten times smaller and fragile.

I suggest you pay someone to do it for you.

With the price of laptops today , It might be best to buy a new one ...........you could sell the memory and other parts of this Dell 1501 on ebay

The laptop is low spec budget model whch is about 3yrs old. If the battery doesn't fix it. Sell it for parts and buy a new one.

Hello,
Got the battery today and it still does not charger so problem is with the motherboard.Would be fairly handy with stripping things as I am an spark by trade.My question is .Is it a case of puggling out parts and putting them back in or is there alot of soldering? and would I have to reinstall programs?Spoke to someone today from a PC repair shop and they said it would cost me 200 for them to change it out so if i cant change it myself it would not be worth it.If its a case of stripping it down and putting in new chips I can do that, but putting in new programs would be a big job??

The laptop is low spec budget model whch is about 3yrs old. If the battery doesn't fix it. Sell it for parts and buy a new one.

Hello,
Got the battery today and it still does not charger so problem is with the motherboard.Would be fairly handy with stripping things as I am an spark by trade.My question is .Is it a case of puggling out parts and putting them back in or is there alot of soldering? and would I have to reinstall programs?Spoke to someone today from a PC repair shop and they said it would cost me 200 for them to change it out so if i cant change it myself it would not be worth it.If its a case of stripping it down and putting in new chips I can do that, but putting in new programs would be a big job?Dont understand what you mean by this Ger
"It may need to be correct/exact type to suit processor. Will BIOS suit your processor? Probably OK but you may need to set..Watch out for straps/U links settings"

Last edited:
programs are on the hard disk. it is possible to take that out and put aside. probably a connection on the side my 1525 has a 2.5" slot on the left side with 2 screws underneath.

Soldering on a motherboard is not an option.

Swapping one means pulling it apart and puting in a new one.

All the bits are attached by heaps of screws and connectors.

You will need a good jewellers set and patience of a saint.

Not really worth the effort. if it works with the power plugged in better to keep going with the inconvenience of that than destroy it.

Makes no sense to spend time trying to fix it.

Either use as is, or buy a new one or buy used one and swap out the parts to yours.

I'd just buy a new one.

With the price of lap tops I think you would be as well to get a new one.

My old lap top had a similar problem and it was the mother board.

However, the computer

However, the computer works fine when connected via a usb to the printer/fax/scanner. Was told that because it is such a big machine it must actually supply power!!!!

It does not work with the power plugged in thats the problem.Can get a chip for 127 pounds.But if I install it will it work without having to put in new software?Are there different models of motherboards.Are the one for my 1501 all the same?

Seriously whats the point?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INSPIRON 1545 (System Identifier. EP2M8RG8)
Inspiron 1545 Intel Celeron Dual Core T1600 (1.66GHz, 667MHz, 1MB)
Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium
Memory: Memory 2048MB (2x1024) 800MHz DDR2
Hard Disk Drive: 250GB HD (5400rpm)
NoteBook Screen: Display 15.6in Widescreen WXGA with TrueLife CCFL
CD Read-Write Drive: Optical Drive 8X DVD + - RW Drive Battery Inspiron Primary 4-cell 28WHr Li-Ion
Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b g)
Camera Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Price incl. VAT excl. del: EUR 335.18
Price excl. VAT & del: EUR 275.87

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INSPIRON 1545 (System Identifier. D0T7C6WJ)
Inspiron 1545 Pentium Dual Core T3400 (2.16GHz, 667MHz, 1MB)
Operating System: Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium
English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium
Memory: Memory 4096MB (2x2048) DDR2
Hard Disk Drive: 320GB HD SATA (5400rpm)
NoteBook Screen: Display 15.6in Widescreen WXGA with TrueLife CCFL
CD Read-Write Drive: Optical Drive 8X DVD + - RW Drive including software
System Color: LCD Back Cover Black Matte Finish
Battery Inspiron Primary 4-cell 28WHr Li-Ion
Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b g)
Camera Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Price incl. VAT excl. del: EUR 366.54
Price excl. VAT & del: EUR 301.68

Is this for a new computer??(prices) and where can I but them at that price?

Is this for a new computer??(prices) and where can I but them at that price?

Dell outlet.

http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDispatcher?country=IRL&target=InventoryPage&lob_constraint=DIM

After you add a laptop to your basket you can tick the discount and update the price to see the true price. The computers list change a couple of times a day, so you might not see a bargain at 11am you might at 1pm etc. Seems to update in the morning and again in the afternoon. Its not always cheaper then their special offers. Only if theres a discount offer on, as there is at the moment.

Hello,

"It may need to be correct/exact type to suit processor. Will BIOS suit your processor? Probably OK but you may need to set..Watch out for straps/U links settings"

What I mean is that if the mother board is of a type that will accomadate different processors, then there may be small links, dip switches or settings on the board that are used to vary power and clock speeds, so you would need to compare the boards.
It may also be necessary after powering up to go into 'setup' but Im not sure.
Finally even though boards may be identical, its possible that a newer board have some slight differences, such as upgraded BIOS that operation system may not be entirely happpy with but as I say, this may only be a small chance.
However, I do think that Its quite possible that a new board may not work or a pin could get damaged or you dont properly fit processor to heat sink, hence my caution.

any upgrade to BIOS (firmware) will always be accepted by the CPU. downgrading could cause problems tho, but this is not your case. Inserting the CPU in the socket is childs play, however mounting the heatsink/fan could be tricky. get antistatic pads before handling cpu and ram, and see if you can google a video that shows how to replace the mobo on the specific laptop (youtube is full of those videos).