laptop plugged in but not charging ?

overthebridg

Hi,

My laptop (2 year old compaq presario c500) is displaying a message " 31%, plugged in, not charging" when its running on mains power. Then when I plug out the mains power it loses all power, meaning that it will only run when it's plugged in.

I have tried rebooting it, removing the battery over night etc etc but it remains the same. I have contacted compaq/hp to see if they have a fix but they recommend getting a new battery pack and adapter which is costing almost 150E.

Just wondering has anyone experience of this problem as I don't want to throw money at a laptop that I'll probably change within the next 6 months anyway.

The problem may be with the chemistry of the batteries

Laptop batteries (usually Lithium Ion) gradually lost their ability to hold charge with age. All rechargable batteries, regardless of type lose their ability to hold charge with time.

From experience, I usually get about 3 or 4 years before my laptop battery loses its ability to hold a decent amount of charge, it depends on factors like the number of charge-discharge cycles, and the temperature the battery has been kept at (which usually will be room temperature). Putting the battery in the fridge when the laptop is not in use will lengthen the life of the battery, not that anyone would bother to do this.

You can get a cheaper replacement battery on ebay.

Battery is gone. You'll have to buy a new one. Not holding the charge