Laptop overheating!

Havana

My laptop really seems to be overheating at the moment and has turned itself off a few times. (NOt sure if thats related but thinking it is)!!

Any ideas what it could be down to before I burn my apartment down!!!?

Thanks.

What make/model is it?

A few years back there was a problem with Dell Inspiron 5000e s

Are you sure that it really is overheating? Many laptops get quite hot in normal operation. A friend of mine ended up with superficial burns on his thighs after falling asleep with his laptop on his lap.

At the moment its too hot to touch, which I have never noticed before. And the 'air' is making alot of noise as if its trying extra hard to cool itself down (am assuming thats what its for!!!!!!)

No its definatly hotter than usual!

Check to see if you can actually feel airflow coming out,if so Heatsink may have been knocked of processor hence rise in temperature,or you could have a faulty component that's about to give up,hard to tell without looking at it.Is it still under guarentee?

umop3p!sdn said:
What make/model is it?

A few years back there was a problem with Dell Inspiron 5000e s

I have a Dell inspirion 4000 for about 4 years but has only sporadic use. However a lot of usage over the last couple of weeks and it is constantly overheating and just hanging.
I have to use "Executive override" pull out plug and restart when cool.

What was the problem with the 5000's - any suggestions on what I can do to stop this happening

umop3p!sdn said:
Dell issued a Bios update. They also replaced the battery, which was prone to going up in flames!

You could always try this solution:
http://www.markusleonhardt.de/oelbilder.html[font=Verdana, Lucida, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]

Thanks very much - I did replace the battery and I have installed the BIOS update. I sent an enquiry to Dell, will post if I get a reply

you should take the battery out when it is not needed to aid airflow.occasionally, if im playing games on my laptop, i also leave off the battery cover and puta book or something under the back edge to raise it up.
its really stupid that the fan intakes are on the bottom of most laptops. my old toshiba p3 800 had its fan on the side and never overheated.

Had the same problem on a Packard Bell Easy One Silver over the past few months.

On this laptop, there is a small hatch on the base near where the air comes out. This can be removed with a jewellers screwdriver. I found that there was a lot of fluff and dust covering the fan, which I removed. The fan iteself seemed to be turning OK, but all this did not stop the problem.

I rang PC World, to see if they could do anything, and they refused to even discuss it with me unless it was under their extended warranty. They did refer me to a company in Phibsboro who would replace the fan and heat sink unit. (Sorry can't remember the name).

In the end, I kept using the laptop, and the problem cured itself, so I never got a price for it or anything. I reckon I wouldn't have got out of it for less than 200 euro, parts and labour inc. NOTE : I wouldn't have opened it myself if it was still in warranty, in case anyone else out there is in a mood to invalidate their warranty...

Back