Laptop on Ebay

dino

Hi folks,
Has anyone here bought a laptop off ebay? I was looking at ebay the other day and they had some very good deals on laptops. They had some fairly high-end machines for under a €1000. They also had Dell machines but I thought Dell only sell direct.
The seller had Ireland/China as his location. Would I be taking a big chance buying one of these???
Any advice appreciated.

Dino

Theres always a risk when buying off ebay. Check out the sellers recommendation rating.
Give yourself a percentage that youre happy with, say 10%, if you dont make that saving when buying off ebay then rather dell in this case, then the risk isnt worth it.

Get yourself into the laptopshop in top floor stephens green for special deals.

Pay more attention to the reference to China - a lot of Asian sellers put their location as Ireland simply to appear in the Irish search results - do you want a laptop from China? Also potential customs charge issues.

I've purchased 2 laptops off Ebay but in both cases they were simple second hand machines for basic use - from Irish and UK sellers.

I don't know what your preferred spec is but if it's "basic" enough a friend of mine got a nice widescreen laptop, with dvd recorder and built in wireless for Eur700 incl vat and del. (inverted commas used to denote basic being a variable word dependent on the user!) The Inspiron 6000 was the model.

You may also be able to save a few bob by buying through the [broken link removed] because anybody can do it.

Don't take the eBay supplier rating as gospel. There have been incidents of fraud whereby a valid ebay seller with a good reputation have had their accounts hacked, so the fraudsters were using other people's accounts/reputation to grab your money. If they look for payment by any method other than Paypal, run a mile.

PayPal and eBay have protection schemes which covers purchases up to some limits (a few hundred € I think) which protect purchasers in cases of non delivery, fraud etc. If the purchase is under the relevant limits then the only risk is a loss due to currency fluctuations between the payment and refund. I recently used the PayPal complaints procedure to get a refund of about €110 from a vendor when the goods never turned up (missing rather than a scam I reckon) but the vendor was not too cooperative in dealing with the issue.

ClubMan said:
You may also be able to save a few bob by buying through the [broken link removed] because anybody can do it.

Anybody ?
I looked at the FAQ and found ..

Question: How do I receive the discount?
Answer: When ordering through the EPP web site the prices are inclusive/net of the 7% discount. When ordering by phone a 7% discount is applied to the total of your order. Please ensure you quote your company name when you place your order in order to qualify for the EPP discount.
If I follow through on this, does my company name have to be a DELL company, or a company who buy from DELL - cos I can't tick either of those boxes.

Or is it material, i.e. put in ACME Corporation and the discount is still applied ?

>You may also be able to save a few bob by buying through the [broken link removed] because anybody can do it.

Is this not an abuse of an honour system?

I don't know. Is it? What is an "honour system"?

Actually the company name I entered was not actually bogus. It was my employer's company name. We do buy from Dell but don't have an EPP as far as I know.

Update - just noticed this in their FAQ:

Question: Does my employer have any involvement if I purchase through the EPP?

Answer:
If you choose to avail of the benefits offered through the EPP, you do so directly with Dell with no involvement from your company. You purchase will also be subject to Dell's standard consumer Terms and Conditions of sale. Details of Dell's consumer terms and conditions of sale are available via the EPP web site
So I guess I was not abusing the system. I chose to avail of the benefits.

Wilipedia provides a definition for honour system (link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honour_system) - interesting reading.

> I chose to avail of the benefits.
You chose to avail of benefits to which you were not entitled if you did so without first checking whether your company is part of the scheme.

As to the extract from the terms and conditions, it's under the Service & Support section so I would take this to mean that once you qualify for the scheme, your agreement is directly with Dell.

Eeek!!!! said:
Wilipedia provides a definition for honour system (link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honour_system) - interesting reading.

> I chose to avail of the benefits.
You chose to avail of benefits to which you were not entitled if you did so without first checking whether your company is part of the scheme.

As to the extract from the terms and conditions, it's under the Service & Support section so I would take this to mean that once you qualify for the scheme, your agreement is directly with Dell.
I don't understand your point. I am entitled to avail of the scheme. What's the problem? :rolleyes:

Taken from the Terms and Conditions:

>Dell are pleased to offer employees of our valued corporate customer 7% >discount on the consumer range of products and promotional offers
>(Dimension PC's, Inspiron Notebooks and Dell Branded Software & >Peripherals - excluding delivery & VAT)) in recognition of the value of our >business relationship

If one is not an employee of 'Dell's valued corporate customer', one does not qualify to avail of this scheme.

Clubman, if your company is, it's great that Dell recognises their business, however this scheme is not open to everyone, therefore everyone can't do it.

Back