Laptop not recognising CDs - any advice?

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Recently the laptop has stopped recognising the CDs and just keeps on turning and turning.

Have tried running a cleaning disc thru it but no joy.

Any advice?

P.S. The fan does not appear to be working properly also and the machine gets very hot. Would the two problems be related?

Any software/hardware changes between it working and not working?

If the fan is not working then there is always a chance that a component/chip has burnt out.

However it's a bit of a stab in the dark at this remove and in the absence of more detailed info.

Hi Clubman,

Thanks for reply.

As you know not a techie so sorry for not enuf details. Strangely enuf the laptop has just accepted/run a CD just now no bother although the fan sounds as if it is in overdrive.

It is a DELL laptop which is about 15/16 months old so is only slightly out of warranty :( We have not installed any new software/hardware recently. What other type of info would you need to know before you can give any further advice?

If I was to leave it in somewhere for repair is there anywhere that you can recommend?

Thanks,

Sueellen.

Have you checked the Windows event logs in case there are any problems being reported relating to your PC in general or CD drive in particular:

Start -> right click on My Computer -> Manage... -> Event Viewer

Dell normally have diagnostic tools for their systems available for download which you can download and run to do a quick or detailed test of the machine. Normally you write these to a bootable floppy or burn to CD and boot off the relevant device instead of the hard disk and then run the tests. Of course if your CD is dodgy and you don't have a floppy drive then you may be a bit stuck. Check out the Dell support for downloads relating to your system.

If you have the asset tag on a sticker on the laptop then it should be easy to just enter than an get the Dell support site to go directly to the available downloads section for your specific computer.

I had a quick look at those and could probably give it a try but if I do something wrong the kids will kill me so I best get their permission :D (Your day will come when you will take orders for peace sake too!) Do you think the fan running in overdrive is a separate problem?

Too hard to tell at this remove. The Dell system diagnostics are generally pretty comprehensive and should test all devices and even the system fan(s). Best to give them a spin first.

Hi Clubman,

We've tried what you recommended about diagnostic tools and the reply we got was that everything was fine. We also downloaded a firmware update from Dell support but this did not solve the problem.

The drive plays DVDs no problem and very occasionally plays CDs.

We rooted around in the Dell forums and came across [broken link removed] discussion on there being a general problem with the specific drive. Do you think it is worth our while to e-mail Dell and insist that they replace the drive in spite of the machine being out of warranty?

Thanks,

Sueellen.

P.S. Have you ever heard of using a bicycle pump for clearing out the dust on the fan and vents as an alternative to compressed air?

Has anyone else experienced problems with CD drives on Dell laptops and pursued Dell outside of warranty on same?

sueellen said:
The drive plays DVDs no problem and very occasionally plays CDs.
That's very odd! Does it fail with most or all pre-recorded CDs and/or CD-Rs/CD-RWs?
We rooted around in the Dell forums and came across [broken link removed] discussion on there being a general problem with the specific drive. Do you think it is worth our while to e-mail Dell and insist that they replace the drive in spite of the machine being out of warranty?
No harm in trying.
P.S. Have you ever heard of using a bicycle pump for clearing out the dust on the fan and vents as an alternative to compressed air?
No - but that's a damn good idea. But do you suck rather than blow? ;)

"Does it fail with most or all pre-recorded CDs and/or CD-Rs/CD-RWs?

Its totally erratic with CDs only. The DVDs don't appear to be a problem but it only occasionally runs the CDs. This problem has deteriorated over the past few months.

"No - but that's a damn good idea. But do you suck rather than blow?"

:D

sueellen said:
"No - but that's a damn good idea. But do you suck rather than blow?"

:D
Seriously - I'd like to know. About using the bicycle pump to clean the PC that is!

Seriously - I haven't a clue. Son posted a question on one of his forums and a few of them recommended this. I think he tried it out on this laptop and as far as I can see its not overheating as much as it has been of late. I will check with him tomorrow as he is snoring at the moment. :)

sueellen said:
I think he tried it out on this laptop and as far as I can see its not overheating as much as it has been of late.
Interesting - maybe it was full of dust/fluff after all? A gentle hoover (especially with one of those mini hand held hoovers) might also do the trick I suppose. Failing that, given the amount of dust/fluff that most computers accumulate over time, a partial disassembly might be the only other option...

Hi Clubman,

I've checked about the pump. Its a matter of just using the bicycle pump with the normal connection and blowing air thru the intake and out vents and hopefully this does the trick.

If one wanted to use the proper method how would you get compressed air and how is it used? :confused:

You can get [broken link removed] of it in most camera shops (although I use one of these for my camera). However, I think I'd rather suck the dust out of a fan vent/CD drive than blow it inwards...

Try rolling a piece of paper into a tube around the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner and sellotaping it in place. You can then gently fold the open end into whatever shape of makeshift nozzle best fits the cavity you want to extract the dust and fluff from.

I'm trying to keep a straight face through all this..! ;)

Reminds me of that old John Mortimer quip:
Hurricanes, like marriages, start with all that sucking and blowing and end with you losing your house.
For more on the same theme see here. ;)

Back