laptop in aldi

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
Are you sure? It's not on and they don't generally announce other than the next week's specials in advance.

Why? Aldi/Lidl offer better after sales support if I'm not mistaken and their technology is fine.

Unregistered said:
Better off buying from dell.

Bought a Medion PC + 17" flat panel monitor from Aldi before Christmas for €1500. At the time a similar spec from Dell was €2300 although they couldn't provide a 6 in 1 card reader. This price included a 1 year warranty from Dell but 3 from Aldi.

I haven't had a moments bother with the PC and would have no hesitation recommending or buying a PC from them.

I have bought from Currys and PC World in the North of Ireland and saved quite a good few quid , even with the exchange rate and got alot more for the spec. Bought a Toshiba Wireless for €1215 which was being sold here for €1500 plus i got a widescreen to boot.
The cover up there is also cheaper and has no restrictions on it even in the ROI.

You have to think of the resale value also , Toshiba and then maybe Compaq retain the best.

PCs are even worse than cars when it comes to resale value. I personally would not worry about that one or buy a big brand name with just that in mind!

ClubMan said:
PCs are even worse than cars when it comes to resale value. I personally would not worry about that one or buy a big brand name with just that in mind!

Have to agree with ClubMan. I don't know of anybody who buys a PC or a laptop with resale value in mind. In my experience, once a PC becomes old it either dies and is harvested for hardrive/graphics card etc. or is used for less taxing purposes such as word processing or internet use.

I'm going to buy one of them tomorrow. Do they have them in all branches ? Do I need to queue up before the store opens or can they usually be picked up throughout the day ?

Aldi and Lidl special offers have a habit of disappearing quickly, especially the computer hardware ones. If you want to be in with a good chance of getting one then you may need to queue up before they open. Different branches get different units of the special offers but there's no obvious way to know which is the best bet in advance. It's pot luck I'm afraid. As I discovered when I tried to get one of Lidl's camping satellite systems last week at c. 09:45 and they were all gone.

Aldi computers can be backordered in the shop if they run out , Lidl can not.

tonka said:
Aldi computers can be backordered in the shop if they run out , Lidl can not.

That's deadly. Does this apply in all stores, to all products, and who do you have to speak to (a manager, or just any employee)?

CCOVICH said:
Does this apply in all stores, to all products

I was in Aldi, Parnell St, today and the guy on the till was explaining to a customer that computers were the only thing that could be backordered.

I got one of th laptops this morning in Aldi on the belgard road. By the time the doors opened there was about 30 people in the queue. Turned out only 3 people were going for the laptops of which aldi had 15 so if anyone is looking for one Id say they still have them, you have to ask for them as theyre kept in an office behind the tills
Everyone else was either going for the 19" tft screens or the 250gb hard drives. They had about 20 of the hard drives which disappeared in under 60 seconds. I couldnt help meself and picked up one too.
Will update later when I get a chance to play with the laptop.

There was at least 2 people who were near the top of the queue who ran over to the fruit&veg aisle to pick up some cheap broccoli.

Christ...running for veg, whatever next? Fighting over chickens?

What (physical) size is the hard drive, fairly neat or rather large?

All the hard drives are gone in Parnell St also and I was there at 9:15. The lap tops are excellant value. I bought one about a year ago and have had no probs with it.

the disks are roughly 8" by 5" by 2.5". Nice footstand so it can stand vertically and take up hardly no room at all. 250gb for 150e. I have a maxtor one touch external as well, its about the same size. Will be later today before I get to play with the new one. The maxtor eminates a low hum that seems to permeate through the computer desk onto the floor and around the house. bit of playing around with different books and materials under it has deadened it a bit, I hope the gericom isnt the same.

I wasnt serious about the veg although there were some Aldi cookies picked up to celebrate my new lappie with my morning cha!