Laptop hell

G

Gadgetmad

If anyone can help I would appreciate all advice. After years of having a work-supplied laptop which was always configured so that various applications were controlled (even unknowingly) by the Administrator I have decide that it is worth the hassle owning my own laptop. My requirements are;
Downloads whatever I need
Communicates with ipod
Syncronises with my handheld (HP ipaq)
DVD r/w with a good battery to watch movies on flights.
Acts as personal filing cabinet (photos etc)

Ideally I would like it to be as portable as possible but cannot afford Sony Viao with the 10 inch (?) screen but something similar for less would be ideal. This is for personal use and enjoyment. Any suggestions?

The price of hardware has pretty much plummeted over the last couple of years. The software could be where you are hit, if you have to buy your own now.

If your company is in the business of supplying laptops they're likely to have a business licence that allows for copies to be installed on employees' home machines, whether or not owned by the company.

The good news, as umop3p!sdn says, is that prices have plummeted over the last couple of years. Buy as good spec as you can afford, as a kind of future-proofing, and above all look for a good warranty.

You probably know that Lidl/Aldi regularly run a 'special offer' laptop every few months — usually for €1499 (or €1399, or €1299...). They get good reports, and the three-year guarantee is a big bonus, IMHO. You could keep an eye on the Boards.ie 'Bargain Alerts' forum, where the chat usually runs to several pages every time a good 'un comes up... :rolleyes:

Either the lidl/aldi ones or check out the laptopshop in the stephens green centre on the top floor. Hes getting very good reports for supplying feature laden lappies at a nice price.

Back