Laptop broadband connection

M

mink

I have just purchased an internet wirless connected laptop. The broadband works perfectly when I plg teh wire in the back of the laptop. However, it will not work wireless. What do I need to check? In plain english please.
Mink

The Broadband needs to be broadcast from a wireless router in your home or broadcast by someone like Irish Broadband.

Basically if the signal is not broadcast how can you pick it up with a wireless card?

mink said:
I have just purchased an internet wirless connected laptop. The broadband works perfectly when I plg teh wire in the back of the laptop. However, it will not work wireless. What do I need to check? In plain english please.
Mink

As you already have BB in your house you need to check the " wireless router " threads on here and there are several of them. That's how I found out about wireless connectivity

MargeSimpson said:
The Broadband needs to be broadcast from a wireless router in your home or broadcast by someone like Irish Broadband.

Basically if the signal is not broadcast how can you pick it up with a wireless card?

The wireless card/built in wireless in a laptop will not pick up the Irish Broadband signal directly.

The IBB signal is picked up using their wireless modem then connected to your PC by an ethernet (network) cable.

You can connect their wireless modem to a wireless router (instead of direct to the PC) yourself just like you would with DSL or Cable Broadband and pick up the wireless router signal with your laptop and use the IBB broadband that way.