Lanzarote holiday

carchick

Hi all! Me and my b/friend heading to Lanzarote for a 10 days in July. Any one have any info on tours, day trips?? Good things to do and see there! Went away last year and missed a load of good things to do! Please Help!

Rent a car for 3 days & do all the trips yourself... much cheaper & gives you loads of flexibility.

Lanzarote is basically the size of Wicklow so 3 days is plenty to explore the likes of

Timanfaya National Park
Teguise Market
The Cactus Gardens
El Golfo
Mirador Del Rio
Cesar Manrique's House
Jameos del Agua
Guinate Tropical Park

There's also a pretty good shopping centre near Arrecife called the Deiland

We were there a couple of weeks ago. Got a good deal on a car from cabrera medina (google them). Picked the car up when we arrived and dropped it back to the airport. Saw loads as the weather for the first week was not hectic. Ditto to the sites listed above by babduck. Not much to see in the capital Arrecife. There is an IKEA on the eastern side of Arrecife if you are so inclined! A small town to the north called La Santa is where all the windsurfers surfers go. Right next is Club La Santa where all the northern hemisphere athletes go for warm winter training. Lots of other little bits and pieces which when you have a car are easy to find. And the beauty of it all is they are not too far a drive away!

Yes Cabrera Medina were doing great deals on cars a few weeks ago. We rented a 2.0l turbo auto Saab convertible for 3 days for €190. Used it to great effect and saw the whole island. You would probably get an Astra for around half that though prices will probably go up a little in July. 3 days is just enough for a car as the island is pretty small.

if you are staying in pdc then playa blanca is good for a day trip. can get the ferry over to fuerteventura from there is you really really really need some more things to do. have a nice one.

I'd recommend the Irish Times Bar in the old town in Puerto del Carmen its on the same street as the Church

an amazing restaurant to go to is called Lag-o-mar. It is up in the mountains in teguise. The building was once the home of Omar Shariff, it is built into an old volcano.
Hard to describe really, has to be seen.

www.lag-o-mar.com

We were there last year.

I made the mistake of taking the the usual freebie brochures and went to look at these attractions when we had the car for 3 days.

Two days after returning the car I bought a guide book. I liked some of the pictures. After reading the book in detail at home in the appartment we ended hiring out another car for another day to see the things we had missed the first time round.

My advice is to buy a guide book before you hire the car.

Murt