Lanzarote for New Year's?

muffin1973

Hi all,

Am thinking of heading over to Lanzarote with a few mates for New Year's Eve. Was there years ago with the folks but can't remember the name of the place where we stayed although I know it was in Puerto del Carmen.

I reckon it's the only place within flying distance where we would get a bit of good weather around christmas - two questions: A) anyone been there at Christmas, is it lively and B) Can anyone recommend an apartment complex that is geared more towards adult couples rather than families?

Thanks

M

Was there one Christmas and on other Canary islands two previous years. Not particularly lively. Shops do make some effort and bars with festive drinks etc... but most people who go there, go to get away from the glitz of Christmas and to find somewhere warm for the season. Our appartment complex was very quiet, about half full at most. We now go i early feb but not to Canarys as there is not much there IMO.

Couldnt even tell you the name of our appartments let alone a recommendation. Sorry.

Muffin
Was there a few Christmases ago. Not a Christmassy sort of place. No different to what it would be like at any other time of year really. As I recall, they celebrated Christmas (albeit not with any great enthusiasm) on 6 January, not in December.

We went for New Year's in 2004, going again this year. Weather was reasonable, but a light jacket was needed for going out in the evening. Puerto del Carmen was quiet enough, there is big firework display on the beach there every New Year's Eve which brought lots of people out - including all the locals. We stayed in an apartment complex in the old town called Lago Verde - www.lagoverde.com - really nice apartments, reasonably priced and quiet.

Go to Canaries every christmas/new year myself to get away from the festivities in Dublin. They celebrate the new year there all right with fireworks etc, but not christmas. However, for a break with very pleasant weather and not too hot sunshine its a great change from the darkness and gloom of Ireland that time of year.
Remember as an all year round resort, every week is christmas there:)

Hi. hoping to go to the canary islands myself this christmas holiday season Tenerife to be exact. I would recommend the Fariones apartments or the Fariones playa in puerto del carmen. My wife and i stayed there this summer of 2006 and they were excellent. Have a look at www.alpharooms.com where you can book them at very good prices. and try booking you're own flight.

Back