language tapes

Zapatista

I remember seeing a thread about this before. I want to learn Spanish and was thinking of getting the Pimsleur Set. However I read some reviews for this on Amazon and one in particular put me off. Supposedly the Pimsleur tapes contain South American Spanish as opposed to mainland Spanish. I checked this out and it seems to be true. There are a lot of differences between what is said in the tapes and how it would be said in Spain.

In the thread previously posted on this topic I remember someone mentioned a language shop on/near Pearse St. that sells language tapes. Does anyone know of this shop. If so where exactly is it ?

hi there Zapatista,

there are actually 2 foreign language bookshops in the city centre :

Foreign Languages ( I think this is the name of it ) is on the street just off Pearse Street. I don't remember the name, but it is the street where you enter/exit Pearse Street train station. The bookshop is a black front and is about 10 doors up from the entrance to the train station.
There is also International Books, on South Frederick Street , which I personally think is better, and they seem to have a better stock of stuff.

If you are just looking for general stuff ( tapes , or complete courses ) Easons and Hodges Figgis also have a very good selection, and can often be cheaper than the two shops above.

For tapes I would recomment the Linguaphone AllTalk, however they are a bit expensive ( they come in 4,8 and 16 hour courses, and prices seem to go from about 40 to 160 euro ) , but you can get them a lot cheaper on ebay.

Hope this helps !

The shop on Westland Row (just up the road from Pearse St DART station is called Modern Languages as fas as I know.

After being through a few systems, I personally recommend this guys style. The CD's are available on Amazon.

www.michelthomas.com

In brief, he actually explains the language structure, and where the verbs have historically derived from. I always find that learning through understanding is more beneficial that the paint-by-numbers memory methods.

If it is mexican dialect spanish you are after, just go for standard spanish and speak through the nose.:D

Have you tried your local library? I used tapes i got there to improve my French. Often very limited selection but worth checking if you're a member. Even if you want to get your own set anyway you can use the library to check out what type of course suits you best.

Hi Zapatista

I would recommend you go for pimsleaur if the spoken word is your goal and are not to bothered about grammar and writing.

Pimsleur, for me, beats all the others easily including linguaphone etc.

To answer your concerns, pimsleaur teach you the core spoken language which can be understood by all spanish speakers. They do this with all languages as the region variations are enormous. Bear in mind, polishing the language comes with continued use in the mother tongue and within the cultural setting. What you should be aiming for now, is a basic solid understanding of the language which is the vital foundation.
Pimsleur give you this.

Thanks a lot for the feedback people.

I'll visit the shops mentioned above. Michele Thomas was actually recommended to be before so he can't be too bad. Pimsleur is quite expensive but I have heard both positive and negative reports. I'll just have to try balance quality and cost when I decide which option to go for.
Zapa.

Hi Zapatista

I have studied Michel Thomas German and he is good, however I think pimsleur even has the edge on him.

One thing to note is that all the libraries in Ireland stock both pimsleur Spanish and Michel Thomas, so why dont you try them out for free?

Hi Zapatista .... I have no idea about those tapes, just what Spanish is the one you are trying to learn?

With that nickname probably it´s the mexican one?

In any of the cases, there is one just only one Spanish, though slang, jargon, is used everywhere ...

If it is of any help I do speak Spanish and though grew up in Argentina I could understand and speak the one they speak in Spain.

Instead of the tapes, you could listen spanish radio to get used ....

Thanks Steve. I didn't think libraries stocked them.

Kikita - I like your suggestion about listening to Spanish radio. I think that along with reading Spanish newspapers it will greatly help my accent, grammar and vocabulary but Im also looking for a starting point. Sowhere to pick up the basics. That's why Im interested in the tapes.

Zapa.

Hi Zapa I have a modern Spanish Linguaphone, 1 year old, that I wish to dispose of if you are interested?

Back