langkawi,malaysia

nutter1

hi guys heading to malaysia for our honeymoon and are headin down to the islands for ten days was just wonderin does anyone know which the best islands to go to are, want it to be relaxing but still want a bit of nightlife going on if we feel like it,any help would be appreciated

Been to Langkawi twice while travelling to and from Australia. I loved it but it's very quiet. Definitely not the type of place to go for mad partying, happy hour etc. In saying that maybe the hotels have entertainment in them. I know there was an Irish bar in Pantai Cenang which was no more of an Irish bar! I went into it one night and had a pretty good night. Mainly locals and ex-pats drinking in it. Also there was a great restaurant called Champor Champor that had a little bar in it. We went in one night thinking it would be just a meal with wine and ended up drinking the night away with a few English couples and a local musician! I'd go back again but like I said, give it a miss if you're ideal holiday is the canaries.

PS Was there in 2001 and 2002 so can't speak for it now. Check out the forum on Trip Advisor and you might get some recent info.

I was there for 10 days in December 2004 and loved it, stayed in a simple beach chalet. There was limited nitelife incl a Reggae Bar with live music till the wee hours but it's a very peaceful and chilled place. I would definitely go again. Great cycling available although the quality of rental bikes makes it a bit tougher. Kayaking around the bay and out to the private islands too. Some 5 star resorts there too if that is your thing.

We were there on our way to Oz back in 2002. Had 2 weeks in a resort - it was beautiful but nothing much to do apart from relax - which was great but a bit boring at the end of the day....although the resort we were in did house the Coco Jam Fun Pub which was a bit different