Landscaping Costs €17,800

Actually the OP has a total of 53.2 sq m of patio. The quote works out at 150.28 per sq m (materials and labour).

6.4 m x 4 m raised patio with steps - york stone
4.6 x 6 patio - york stone - €8000
three small footpaths in york stone

6.4m x 4m = 26 square m
4.6m x 6m = 38 square m
total square m is 66

i.e. €121 per square m
which is within what scaper has told you is the going rate.

this is not including 3 "small" footpaths.

Aimee it sounds to me like you are getting a good deal

Eh, check those sums, SLF.

6.4 x 4 = 25.6
4.6 x 6 = 27.6

Total = 53.2 sq m

I stand corrected!

I have put the figures into my calculator and for some reason it came up with 66.
Weird.
Did it this time on my phone the real figure for the patio is €150.37 sq m.

This is not taking the 3 small paths into consideration and the steps linking the 2 patios I still don't think there is a huge difference to what scaper was talking about.

And I'm going out to buy myself a new calculator.

Save yourself a few bob. It's unlikely there's anything wrong with your calculator. You probably just entered the numbers wrong.

My small Dublin garden cost us under E4000 in total ---but we chose all plants, and planted them ourselves. We also bought the water feature separately and did most of the work ourselves for getting it up and running- only needed guy to do the electrics.... I can really recommend the builder guy who did the actual patio -stone laying etc... he was painstaking and careful re drainage etc-- it looks wonderful.
A nearby neighbour and friend, with same sized garden had a landscaper in who charged her almost e18,000 for a similar type job- possibly a few more paving stones in hers-but with NO variety of plants for different seasons etc. no trees (which we have). So think what your budget is, get at least 3 quotations and then scale it to what you can do directly yourself.
Good Luck -it will be worth it- ours is a total pleasure these days.

Save yourself a few bob. It's unlikely there's anything wrong with your calculator. You probably just entered the numbers wrong.

Just used the stupid calculator 99/2 comes up with 50.

I thought maybe I was losing my mind but it seems that it was the calculator that was giving me trouble not my mind. Although Mrs. SLF figures it happens to all men when they hit 18.

You're obviously using an estimating calculator, with "number of decimal points" set to zero. It rounds things off. But not to the extent of the earlier post.

But yeah, get rid of that calculator, or at least set it up properly if you're depending on it!

UPDATE:

I have now been quoted for the following which seems to be very good, material being used is pre cast slabs etc :-

kerbing to front lawns
paving edge at front of house
6.4 m x 4 m raised patio with steps - edges completed in grey with creamy/yellow circle insert - wall on raised area will be capped and plastered
4.6 x 6 patio - existing steps will be taken out and replaced with half moon steps which will be paved
three small paved footpaths
all grass, weeds etc killed off and all lawn areas will be levelled, topsoil where needed and re seeded

basically everything will be done ready for tarmac, he said he would also prepare front for tarmac and whatever drainage needed for same he will attend to

Total price quoted - €7,000 Total agreed - €6,500

Big difference from the first quote!! I think I am happy to go ahead

by the way - I should say - the guy doing the works comes highly recommended and when I met with him I had total confidence in him. He gave me ideas unlike the original guy who quoted me - left me guessing what the garden would eventually look like - he also made me feel that nothing was a problem!!

Please god it will all work out well - again I will update the thread when works are done to let you all know.

Considerable reduction in cost, but a more basic specification, eg slabs are much cheaper than York. Would be curious to see how it is proposed to construct 'half moon steps' and in particular how and what finish will be on Risers and Threads? Doesn't say type of kerb but assume basic concrete?

And what about VAT?? The cost reductions might appear fantastic but what about the finish?

Will be interesting to see before/after pics. Best of luck anyways.

Hi Scaper,

I am aware that the slabs are alot cheaper than York but I never requested York slabs in first place from original guy who quoted, my problem with him was he decided what he would like and quoted me for that, when I requested a quote for cheaper slabs he seemed insulted!

The steps into house will be taken out and half moon shaped steps poured, he will then pave on top and sides. The steps to raised patio area will be paved in the same way.

Price quoted is inclusive of VAT and material.

I totally take on board what you are saying about the finish - I have seen his previous work and it is very impressive - to me one of his massive advantages in comparison to the original guy (apart from cost) is that he is tasty and not afraid of a little hard work! He appears to know exactly what he is talking about and has confirmed that he will consult me every step of the way to ensure I am happy with everything. Also I know where he lives

I am very very conscious of a job being done properly and will be watching over his shoulder at all times - I am not one who will stand for shoddy work! Also he won't see a penny until the garden is completely finished and I am happy with it.

I will take before and after pics and will post them in time.

in relation to the kerbs they are pre cast and are very neat and tidy with rounded edge - they dont look at all like your ugly bog standard kerb - we are delighted with it. In any event the kerb will be sunk and garden brought up to meet it so that it is not so obvious - only reason we have it there at all is for the tarmac - we will have no kerbing in back garden - paving border only.

I will of course keep you informed and hopefully tell a tale of a job well done over the coming weeks.

Thanks to everyone for advices.

Re: Landscaping Costs €17,800

@aimee, where are you located ie county as i am in clare and desperate as well to get a proper quote.

noah