Landscaping Costs €17,800

Aimee

I have been quoted €17,800-00 approx for the following :-

190 m2 of tarmac - €3300
kerbing to lawn and to create an edge at front of house and down side - no 89 lengths - €1700
new step at front door - €290
6.4 m x 4 m raised patio with steps - york stone
4.6 x 6 patio - york stone - €8000
three small footpaths in york stone
two loads of topsoil - €500
lawns repaired and re seeded - €460
40 shrubs €460
5 trees €300
10 trellis €200
10 climbers €260
weed suppresant, gravel €300
small fence and gate to front (which we do not want so we can cut off €1000 straight away).
groundworks - €1000

My biggest problem is the price of the patio - we have one raised and one lower, then three paths leading from same - and this cost alone is coming in at €8000-00!!! Seems mad! I asked the landscaper what we can do to bring this cost down but his mood took a turn when I asked if it was the actual stone he was using was driving the price up - and he avoided the question entirely!!!

I have read through other posts but I wanted you guys to take a look at this quote and let me know what you think!

Thank you

A x

I dont know the exact price of York stone slabs but based on the price in the uk (£45stg), the price u have been quoted is OTT.
You have about 28sq M which at €100 per m would cost €2800. Thats leaving €185 per sq m to lay. Sounds crazy price to me.

I asked the landscaper what we can do to bring this cost down but his mood took a turn when I asked if it was the actual stone he was using was driving the price up - and he avoided the question entirely!!!

Consider that a warning of what's to come and walk away. Find another landscaper, there are plenty out there who are more than prepared to give you a break down of materials and labour costs.
Leo

Consider that a warning of what's to come and walk away. Find another landscaper, there are plenty out there who are more than prepared to give you a break down of materials and labour costs.
Leo

+1 on that.

Btw, that's the cheapest load of topsoil I've ever seen - how big are his loads?

We are after doing work at ours to my comments below:

"kerbing to lawn and to create an edge at front of house and down side - no 89 lengths - €1700" - This sounds similar to ours.

"new step at front door - €290 - "
Is it made of gold!!! what is is made of ? Concrete?, seems excessive

"6.4 m x 4 m raised patio with steps - york stone
4.6 x 6 patio - york stone - €8000 -"
I have a deck I am doing at home, its 5.6m x 4.6m, it is costing me 900 euro for all the material, stone costing 8 times that!!!! I think he is pulling the p**S

"two loads of topsoil - €500 - "
I paid 200 euro per 22 ton load of quality topsoil.

"lawns repaired and re seeded - €460 "
Hard to gauge, 25kg of grass seed (will do 3/4 acres) costs about 80/90 euro.

"40 shrubs €460" - I bought 11 shrubs there last weekend for 62 euro.

"5 trees €300" - What trees are they? I am getting silver birch for 25 euro each in October!

"weed suppresant, gravel €300" - 19 euro for 50m of weed suprsent, about 200 euro for 10 ton of gravel.

"groundworks - €1000" - What is the details of this? How many hours for machine and man?

Taking your biggest problem first, York Stone is this the Bradstone product ie basically 'manmade' dyed concrete which is generally more expensive than the real natural stone.

Beware there can be considerable differences in how Patios are laid and also quality of finish, but as a guide Natural stone paving (Sandstone, Limestone and Granite) supplied and fitted will range in price from € 100.00 - € 140.00 / sq m. Again complex shapes and multi levels account for the variance. These rates would be representative of a well laid patio within a well designed overall landscaping scheme and not some hodge podge rectangle with a circle in the centre.

Sure you'll get some coming on saying I paid this and that, but the truth is in seeing the end results.

Another very important area is plants, of course you can buy bare root trees for € 25 in Oct, mind you they'll look like what they cost and besides if you want to complete your project now, you will pay a premium for all container grown mature specimens. More general shrubs will vary in price enormously from the cheap and nasty at the lower level (< € 5 for a 2L pot) to € 200+ for imported specimens.

Topsoil is generally around Dublin area € 300/ load (16 ton +/-), but this is medium grade at best and frequently poorly screened and most likely infested with weed. Top quality screened soil is now costing (if you can get it!) € 600/load. Of course if you live on the side of a mountain in the rural Ireland rates might be greatly reduced.

Some of the other costs including Tarmac would seem low but paving is exceptionally high, so overall I would concerned.

new step at front door - €290

It sounds like a crazy price, I suggest you shop around and get plenty of quotations

Thanks for all your replies guys, I guess I knew what you have confirmed and most certainly agree that his attitude is worrying and a sign of things to come!!

Thank you for taking the time. I am getting more quotes and will have a better idea now as to what is reasonable and was is OTT.

You might let us know how you get on if that is alright. Thanks

Aimee - just had my patio finished last week and the going rate (for Indian Sanstone) was €80 per sq. m. The price of the slabs in Roadstone was €33 per sq. m. so I paid roughly €47 per sq. m. for labour, sand, cement etc.

This seems quite cheap compared with your patio quote (even allowing for the different stone) so I would look for additional quotes.

Good luck.

That's outrageous !

Not knowing the type and maturity it isn't necessarily so. But bog standard garden centre varieties perhaps, but then again I've seen climbers costing more, but then they would be exceptional specimens.

I will keep you updated on how I get on.

I am going to obtain a price for paving and tarmac separately and I have also contacted another landscaper to call out just to compare.

Aimee

This guy will be havin a laugh at your expense if you hire him - I assume you may be in Dublin but the prices still look v high to me.

Get a few more quotes - I am 100% sure you can do considerably better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aimee

This guy will be havin a laugh at your expense if you hire him - I assume you may be in Dublin but the prices still look v high to me.

Get a few more quotes - I am 100% sure you can do considerably better.

thanks badge, and no, I am in the south!! and yes, for sure, think this guy would have had some laugh alright. I expect to have some more quotes over the next couple of weeks and will post them.

be very carefull to get a reconised landscape gardeneras there are a lot of people calling themselve gardeners who are not and speak to the landscapers previous cleints dont just take their word for their workmanship .tom

shop around as that price seems way to expensive, the amounts and sizes are not clearly mentioned in the qoute