Landlord faces court action over covid parties

@Leper

The problem is the lack of criminal penalty for anti-social behaviour in Ireland.

I do not know why we have convoluted laws making landlords liable for their tenants' behaviour.

We should just make clear laws about what kind of noise is permitted, where and when, enforced by AGS and the courts.

It works in large parts of Europe without problem.

@Leper

The problem is the lack of criminal penalty for anti-social behaviour in Ireland.

I do not know why we have convoluted laws making landlords liable for their tenants' behaviour.

We should just make clear laws about what kind of noise is permitted, where and when, enforced by AGS and the courts.

It works in large parts of Europe without problem.

You're right, but there's a limit to how much people can endure. The tenants know their rights and I bet much more so than the landlord. The cure is there (like you said) but nobody seems to want to do anything about it except the neighbouring people who are the victims in all this.

The landlord gets paid, the tenants get accommodation, the neighbours get the noise etc.

I grew up in this area in Cork. As the older home owners moved out or passed away, more and more homes have gradually become Student Accommodation in areas with very old population. It's quite the clash. I'm not saying it would be better if the neighbours were younger, like Familys with newborns... but i doubt they would have the patience to wait to bring this to court, and there would be much more direct confrontation than drawn out court cases.

What I've generally seen is that some students go for big parties, and others just don't (not in their house at least). If they overdo it, the neighbours will complain and no sane landlord will have them the following year. Final year students seem to be worst, rather than first years.

It seems this landlord is either very unlucky, in that he has a house (or houses) that are well known as party houses and continually get students who want to throw these parties. That or he's brazen enough to keep offering leases to them in following years. At some point you'd have to say, if this one Landlords keeps getting into this situation with parties in his properties, what's unique about him? If a business keeps picking bad suppliers, they'll struggle and maybe go out of business. I don't see why a Landlords should be immune from the consequences of their continued bad luck.

It is crazy though that even now in such unique circumstances that the Gardai or anyone has no real power under Criminal laws to tackle this. It's really depressing view of the effectiveness of our Governments to legislate and voters to influence TDs to advocate for laws covering this.

Sorry @andrew2000ad but I have to have a little snigger at your innocence. With so many politicians and their families invested in rental properties and other family members, managing them, the Cowens for example, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that transgressions by landlords or renters will ever be criminalised. Even El Presidente (above all politics of course) is a rental property owner. Come to think of it, so are a lot of Guards (that's not a generalisation, some are known to me personally).

It won't happen, not in our lifetimes at least.

Last edited:
Oh I'm under no expectation that anything much will happen. I think we're too conservative for almost anything to change until a real prolonged crisis arrives... or at least the media go nuts on it.

With so many vested interests on the Landlord side of things, i'm surprised that the first and last responsibility for managing anti-social tenants is still with the Landlord. I'd expect Landlords to be lobbying for that responsibility to be removed, and to be successful if they are so influential. There's a non-zero amount of hassle with these types of tenants. There's not a lot stopping the property from being trashed and the students disappearing, and there's plenty of stories of that happening.

Although remembering the quality of a lot of the Student properties near UCC, maybe the "smart" landlords keep this profitable regardless.

I do not understand why the Gardai have not taken action against the students in question and applied to the District Court for an ASBO. If the students broke that ASBO then it is a criminal offence. Nothing seemed to be getting done here until the residents took court action

Back