land rover freelander

dbrady01

Hi guys. What to people think of these. I know they have had a bad name but has anyone had any good/ bad experiances with them i am looking at 2000-2005 models

Hi guys. What to people think of these. I know they have had a bad name but has anyone had any good/ bad experiances with them i am looking at 2000-2005 models
my sister has had two of them(only reason she got the second was cos only landrover would give her any decent trade in) heap of junk

AAArrgghh - sorry I was dreaming. I thought someone wanted to give me a present of one.

My wife has a 2000 TD4 Diesel automatic with 130000 miles on it. I bought it Oct last year. Few problems:
1 Had to replace 2 electric window motors (common fault), the wire breaks in them not actually the motor themselves. You can buy the wire on ebay for £20.

2. Had to put a camshaft pulley cost £150.

I find the car great and wife wouldn’t swap for a car now. These problems you will have with any car at this age and mileage. You would have to get the diesel TD4. This is the BMW engine and gives no trouble, I had a rover 75 and had the same engine.

There is value to be had in these cars as they have a bad reputation and you will have to allow for some maintenance on them. Lot of people have problems with the petrol car and give the whole range a bad name.

I get all my labour for free, my brother in a mechanic.

Wife has 2002 TD4 model. Good car. Have had for 4 years and no problems. This is version with BMW TD4 engine. Changing to 7 seat discovery at minute due to larger family. You are getting a lot of car for less than 10k. Make sure it is the diesel BMW TD4 model as petrol versions have bad reputation. Lot of problems described by other posters are things you would see in any car with high mileage. Here is one I am selling:
[broken link removed]

I think any car at this age and mileage you will have to get work done to it.
It is something you have to factor in to the cost and the reason why the car is cheaper. I always buy high mileage cars as i get a cheaper car and it is a bonus if i dont have to spend money on fixing small probelms.

My friend had one and said it was a bad buy!!! Still moans about it..

My Friend's wife had one a few years back 2003 plate i think. She met a Land Rover mechanic at a wedding and he told her to sell it as quickly as possible. I think that says it all. Another girl i know had a gearbox drop out of one just out of warrenty. Expensive...
Try www.honestjohn.co.uk car by car breakdown for problems/recalls.

A pile of junk..Best avoided. Look around for a mid sized Toyota/Nissan/Opel jeep instead.

The worst Auto produced in 50 years. Not an exageration. See for yourself
or
http://www1.autotrader.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/carshowroomstory?ReadForm&ID=744313B237CA9808CA2570280009D8B9

Source: www.parkers.co.uk

Freelander 1997 - 2003

Body: Peeling paintwork; leaking boot; damage from off road use.

Engine/Gearbox: Failing head gasket; sticking throttle; blown engine; worn anti-roll bar links.

Other: Faulty central locking; noisy electric windows; faulty brakes.

Stay clear of the 97 to 03 Freelander

Freelander 2003 - 2006

Body: Damage from off-roading.
Engine/Gearbox: Head gasket on 1.8 and transmission noises.
Other: No problems reported.

Also see http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/car_search_2.html

Freelander 2006 onwards

Body: No problems reported, but check for off-road damage on used models.
Engine/Gearbox: No problems reported
Other: No problems reported

Ford sorted out the reliability problems at last with the Mark 2 Freelander launched in 2006.

No major reliability issues

Recommended by Auto-Express, What Car, & Autocar.

Back