Land Registry - Transfer of Ownership

GSheehy

Person needs to transfer a small (.04 of a hectare) plot of land that was not registered with the Land Registry when the original sale took place.

Registration by the vendor has now been completed with Land Registry.

Can the purchaser deal directly with Land Registry on this or do they need a Solicitor to execute the transaction? If a Solicitor is required, what fee should the purchaser expect to pay to the Solicitor?

Well, I suppose, in theory, someone could do their own Land Registry Transfer but I very much doubt that they would get it right such as would enable them to sell on in the future.

By all means try.

If they use a solicitor, the fee rather depends on whether they are using the same solicitor as used previously ( and that then begs the question did the clients screw up on that missing piece of land or the solicitors?). The same solicitor should have some knowledge of the property.

In theory, it should be a minimal fee but someone'd need to see precisely what is involved before quoting.

mf

Thanks MF.

I think that all parties agreed to resolve the issue after the initial sale as it was anticipated that it could have taken a relatively long time to resolve. Something to do with the LR not having any record of said plot (?)

I believe that the same solicitor was used to purchase the plot initially.

It sounds like there is a new folio registered to the original vendor on foot of an application for first registration. Now that this is completed, the original vendor can transfer this title. (I would have handled it differently - allowing buyer to take over the job of registering the title, but that is somewhat academic now and the parties may have had their reasons for doing it the way it was done.)

If matters are as set out above, then the deed of transfer has to be prepared, stamped by Revenue ( presumably exempt from Stamp Duty if price is nominal - but still needs to be stamped) and registered in the Land Registry. Some ancillary documents will also be required.

This is relatively straightforward, but it is really a new, stand-alone transaction from a solicitor's perspective. As such, it would still attract a legal fee of perhaps €300-€600 plus VAT @21.5% and outlays ( circa €150-€200). And depending on the circumstances, solicitor might insist on both sides having independent legal advice.

I concur with MF1 on wisdom of transferee doing the work him\her self

Back