Land Registry Map Error?

N

ntgar

Hello, i was chating to a good friend of mine the other day and he told me of this problem he was having ( he's not into computers but ask to see could i find any info on the internet ).

He's owns a large plot of land which has been in his family for about 75 to 80 years but recently he wanted to build on the land and he found out that the entrance (lane) wasnt registered to him but his family have used it for the duration of ownership of the 80 years.
He has an old map of the area which his father owned it's from the early 1900's and you can see the entrance on it and he's wondering since the new maps have gone digital could there have been a error made and if so how to you go about rectifying this, any ideas or help would be appreciated.

This area is a minefield which IMHO requires leglislation. Land Registry will claim that their maps and markings are not definative guide to ownership, thay state that the other legal documents are but the legal documents often are just descriptive referring to maps and again they are not accurate. The LR needs to be the definative repository of accurate maps but it is my understanding that at present they are not.
In your case it may be simply a mapping error and if you have proof of ownership the LR can usually make the changes. If it is registered in someoneelses name then you might have problems. Your friends family certainly has right of way but that may not be enough for planning.
You really need to have your friend contact the LR and ask their advice and if necesary engage to a solicitor if necessary to sort out the ownership. Whatever seems logical to you may not be so simple in practice.

Thanks for your fast reply, the maps were revised and now it seems that that the lane is in ownership of someone else which makes it difficult for them, thats why he wondered could it have been an error from the LR, ill tell him to contact the LR and see what they say.

I will thanks, id say its going to be a little more difficult than he thinks but ill keep ya posted thanks again

Land Regiatry maps always carry a disclaimer that they are not conclusive as to boundaries.

Years ago, after waiting some months you got a map drawn on good quality paper showing boundaries marked in a thin red line by a professional draughtsman.

With the new digital process you can get map over the internet. However the boundaries appear to be some sort of photographic overlay, fudging boundaries etc.

The oldways may have been better.

Yeah i explained the info that you all have giving so he's goin to contact the land registry, he's still very confused at how it was never spotted as the entrance is now in someone elses name and is no use to them but will probaly be awkard to to sort out, he says thanks for the information and help.

Yes it will probably be awkward to sort out and may need the help of a solicitor which naturally costs money. But it should be sorted out.