Land Cruiser Question

sinbadsailor

Anyone have the 3-door comemrcial?
Anyone use it for a lengthy commute?
I am looking into the possibility of getting one for my 180 mile roundtrip each day? They seem to be regarded as a really well built, bombproof, comfortable 4x4.
I'm not really interested in the 'school run' type of 4x4 such as the X5 of Q7

Any testimonials welcome before I make the plunge...

Cheers

Very comfortable jeep. I wouldnt swap mine.

However they are heavy enough on deisel, im getting around 33 mpg and thats driving it easy - put the foot down and watch the pin drop!

Thanks Guys, a car would probably suit me better then, comfort is the main thing really and I must admit I had forgotten to factor in tyres, which whould probably be a more regular requirement than a saloon.

I may have to have a re-think...

Hi sinbadsailor,

Would have to concur with all the opinions expressed already.

I recently took my fathers Land Cruiser on a round trip to Waterford city from Monaghan.
A lot more comfortable than I expected with a good driving position. My route involved a fair bit of motorway and dual carriage way driving so I was hoofing her on but the six speed gearbox meant that the revs were kept under control. I clocked it for the fuel consumption and reckoned I got about 35 MPG which was better than I expected. Still if you were doing a lot of city driving or on county roads with a lot of down shifting and high revs I'd say you'd be guzzling diesel bigtime..!
A car would be more economical to run you just wouldn't be able to see over the ditches on your way :D

Interesting reviews! I'm picking up a second hand LandCruiser this week (2004 SWB), and while I knew they would guzzle diesel I didn't expect them to be as comfortable as everyone is saying they are. I had a small test-drive with the dealer but couldn't get a good feel for it as there was a lot of stopping/starting on the route we took, but overall I was impressed!

As a matter of interest, what price are tyres working out at on average, and how often do you find yourself replacing them?

My commute would be up and down the N11 really, so majority would be at cruising speed, 100-120kph I'd say. 35mpg would be OK I suppose, but moving from an A4 diesel and getting nearly 650 miles out of a full tank, it might be a bit of a shock, bigger tank to fill too!

I would be interested too in the price/interval for tyre replacements....

€170 per tyre is not too bad. I've been used to paying around €145 ea. for the last year so that's not too much of a step up. Do you know off hand what size the tyres are, or how many miles on average you'd get?

why are you moving from the A4? I'm starting a 100mile round trip commute next month and the A4 tdi is on the list of possibilities, along with 3-series diesel, Accord diesel, Golf diesel

why are you moving from the A4? I'm starting a 100mile round trip commute next month and the A4 tdi is on the list of possibilities, along with 3-series diesel, Accord diesel, Golf diesel

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the A4, far from it, it eats the miles, in comfort and gets great mpg. Hasn't put a foot wrong on me.

I have just had it a couple of years now and it is at the 85k miles mark and I am just thinking about moving on now rather than trying to sell it with over a 100k on the clock.

So I'm either keeping it or moving on and the Landcruiser is on my list or motors to replace it

Just wondering, does anyone know if the radio in the LandCruiser (2004 SWB GX model) has a line-in input?

I'm looking at buying an MP3 CD Player for the jeep, with an integrated bluetooth for the handsfree function. I think I'd need some kind of faceplate though, as the stereo footprint is larger than the standard size. It might look a bit weird if I take out the factory fitted stereo?

My boyfriend has a 3 door commercial....he's now on his second one and he absolutely swears by them! He had a Pajero a few years ago and it gave him nothing but trouble. He bought a new Land Cruiser in 2004 and loved it. He changed it this year for a 2007 model (purely because the warranty lasts 3 years)......so he's never had any problems with either of them....he hates it when he has to drive my little Micra!

LOL, I'd say there's quite a difference between driving the Micra and the LandCruiser alright!! :D

Good to hear he's a happy owner. Hopefully I will be shortly too!

Back