Lake Annecy region of France

Skinner1

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has been to the Lake Annecy region in France. We're thinking of going for about 7 days in Sept.

Is 7 days too long, is there enough to do for the 7 days.

Hi Skinner1,

Annecy is a beautiful part of France, with plenty to do..I am sure you will find quite the opposite that 7 days were not enough. For more information on the area log onto www.annecytourisme.com. Some super restaurants around, wateractivities, paragliding etc.. . You'll have a lovely time!

I spent about 4 days there Sept 04 and thought the place was great and certainly could have stayed longer.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would you have any recommendations for hotels/B&B's in the region? Also did you travel around or just base yourselves in one town and take in the sights from there?

Definitely recommend a day trip to Chamonix so that you can go up Mont Blanc. You are also close enough to Geneva if you fancy another day trip. It's a couple of hours drive, but even that is nice as it's spectacular scenery.

Great place to visit. went with the family a few years ago. The town itself is quaint with its canal and old buildings. Market day there was a real treat. We visited Chamonix which again is a beautiful place. You can go up Mont Blanc or visit the Montenvers glacier - one of the longest surviving glaciers in the world. Wrap up warmly for this!! All around Lake Geneva there are little towns worth visiting but be careful where you park. These places have a local service which wants to cut down on cars being abanfdoned all over theplace by tourists. At weekends they hire part time traffic wardens who are very zealous at ticket distribution. I think 7 days is probably too short to waste on a trip into Geneva but what we really enjoyed was renting a motor boat on Lac d@Annecy. The family still talk about it and the pictures we took are great.Enjoy!!

lovely place; was there a few years ago. If you're in to running off mountains and paragliding, you'll have the opportunity to go tandem with an expert . The cows will be out on the hills with their bells.
In to hill walking? Try Col du Forclaz.
Mountain-biking? There's a bus will take you and your bike up the mountain and you ride back down again!
Any kids/fun adults? you'll love the "luge d'ete"; a tobaggon run!
Lovely town. Should be a few less tourists than july&august.
We took a spin into Geneva; no great shakes. At least you don't need the "motorway disc" on that short run into Switzerland

Edit 11Feb. : "In to hill walking? Try Col du Forclaz."

Hope I didn't mislead anyone; this is quite a hike uphill, but there is a trail; you definitely need good boots plus a good supply of drinking water.

We're planning to bring our 3 children(5 yrs, 3yrs, and 2 mths) to France sometime in June/early July.

Could anybody recommend a website(s) I could use to find appropriate accomodation? Mrs. Donking has declared that her days of camping/caravaning are over, so we would have to rent an Apartment/house?

Anybody any ideas?

Many thanks

PS. the website above seems to be in Frence only. Is there an Englisg version?

It would appear that the good people of Annecy do no want any anglophones spoling their little paradise! I'll see if I can find info ion English for you!

Here is a site for the Savoie, county where Annecy lies, in English
[broken link removed]

Happy reading!

Many Thanks to all. I'll have a good read through them and see if there is something suitable.

I have to admit though, in my panic to book a holiday for the Kids I went and booked DisneyLand Paris last night for June. I know it's not the kinda French Holiday I initally set out to book by that's the way it goes.

At least now I can do plenty of research for a proper French holiday either later this year or probably more likely spring/early summer next year.

Many Thanks for your help

DonKing

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I have booked a hotel and flights to go to annecy in July.
We are flying to Lyon.

I was just wondering if anyone else had travelled this way, and how you got from Lyon Airport to Annecy.

Or which is the best way to travel from there,

1. Car Hire
2. TGV
3. Coach

Cheers.

Hi Rambo

You can get a bus from the aiport to Annecy journey takes about 2 hours..look at [broken link removed] for timetables etc..There is also a direct TGV from the airport which takes about the same lenght of time but definitely more comfortable!

Hi,

DonKing you mention renting a house/apartment.. have a look at this site : [broken link removed]

Lots of houses there. I have booked gites in the past and have been very pleased with them. Some of them can be booked directly with the owner and others through a central booking system.

I second what others have said about the Lake Annecy are - veru beautiful and lots to do there.

M

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of going to Annecy. We are in our mid 20's. We do not want a mad holiday but we would like to know if the bars are lively until around 2ish at least?

Back