lack of street signs

dave28

Why is it so difficult for county / town councils in this country to erect street signs? For example if you are driving in Dublin and are unfamiliar with the city, which i am, you try to follow your street map. At some junctions there are small name-plates on buildings. If they ARE there they are difficult to read, but usually they are non-existent !! Wouldnt it be easier on everyone if (as in the U.S.) a name sign was erected on the traffic-light pole / stop sign / yield sign etc. ? I mean, the pole is already there , it saves the hassle of securing a plate to a wall.
Standardise it, I say. So, if you are travelling in Cork or Donegal, Cities or villages, every road, street, lay-bye etc. has a name-plate on a pole that is easily read by passing road users. I think it would also help improve Road Safety.

That is far too sensible for our local authorities. Subversive types like you are not welcome anywhere our beloved bungling county councils. We like the disarray that they so carefully create

There's already too much clutter of street furniture. Just ensure that the wall signs are visible. TBH, I think Dublin is generally fine.

Agree with Dave28 on this one, impossible to know where your going in this country. not enough signposts. Im heading into Dublin tomorrow and am dreading the getting there part!! and getting out...I dont think the dubs like to see ones from the country up because half of them dont know where there going, neither do they know what lane to be in etc.

There's already too much clutter of street furniture. Just ensure that the wall signs are visible. TBH, I think Dublin is generally fine.

But the wall signs are NOT visible, and, if a building is demolished / renovated etc. the wall sign generally disappears. Do the council have to get permission from property owners to erect these signs ? Surely easier to put them on their own property ie existing poles !!
Also, I'm talking about standardising signage in EVERY town in Ireland although Dublin should be a priority.

You said it Blueshoes. Too many culchies cluttering up the city as it is without more of you trying to find your way around. Sure any Dublin chiseller could tell you the way to go, provided he could understand what you are saying. Invest in a GPS and make life a little easier for us Dubs. AND :eyebrowsraise:

I couldn't agree more, I do a lot of driving all over the country and road & street name signage is dreadful everywhere.

We also need a proper nationwide post-code system like what they have in the UK

I was driving towards Ashbourne from Swords for the first time using back roads. Every road sign giving the direction of the towns was on a junction. So on a narrow road where I was trying my best to keep a decent speed for the van behind me, watching the traffic on the other side as there wasn't much room I was supposed to catch sight of a badly placed road sign (facing the turn on my left) and turn my head 90 degrees to the right to read it and then react and make the turn to the left. If I was travelling at 2 km an hour that might be safely possible but otherwise no.
I also find that there are a number of signs directing you to your destination and then suddenly they ran out and there will be no more. So you usually have to guess at the next junction where you're supposed to turn.

Or a lot motorway signs appear just after the exit, instead of appearing further back to warn you that you have to leave on it. What's the point of putting a sign stating which towns can be reached at that exit, if you have to drive past the exit to read this sign...?

For the record I'm a Dub, who can't make head or tail of the use of road signs here.

For example : I was going to the airport the other day, from city centre, and somewhere around Mobi Rd (?? not exactly sure, signage is very poor !!) there is a 'T' junction . On the left is one of those little signs with a plane on it , presumably advising drivers to go left for the airport. But on the right, pointing to the right, is a sign saying "Airport" !! OK, some will say "but you can go either way" . But whats the point - two signs pointing different directions !!!!

We also need a proper nationwide post-code system like what they have in the UK

We are getting one, think it will be introduced next year. It was on breakingnews.ie a couple of weeks ago.

On the signs, worse than not having one is one that's been turned around by vandals so it points in the wrong direction!

How is that going to help travellers to navigate on their journeys?

Post codes are perfect when using Sat Nav, just plug in the code and follow the little voice.

I have done this a lot of times in the UK and it works really well.

On the left is one of those little signs with a plane on it , presumably advising drivers to go left for the airport. But on the right, pointing to the right, is a sign saying "Airport" !!
It's quite obvious really: the one on the left is for the aeroplanes which have got lost on their way to the airport, the one on the right is for drivers.

Post codes are perfect when using Sat Nav, just plug in the code and follow the little voice.

I have done this a lot of times in the UK and it works really well.

exactly, I live in england and drive to locations that I have never been quite a lot - the first question i ask when I going out ot a new site is "whats the postcode" - bang it in the sat nav and away I go.