Lack of discounts for cash payments

theoneill

Hi I'm trading in my 01 Renault Laguna and hoping to buy a 04 Toyota Avensis.
The problem is that I've been to two dealers so far and they refuse to lower
their list price for cash payments with the trade in.

I'd be only looking for about e500 off the price. I've bought a fair few cars in my time
and have always got some discount or other; are dealers suddenly getting greedy or
is this common practice?

Any hints / advice would be great.

There's prob very little in the deal, Cash doesn't matter when you have a trade in, Your doing well that they will take that Boat off you, Most Dealers even Renault Dealers wont touch Laguna's. If you say it's only €500 would you just not pay it?

Yeah I turned white as I read some of the Laguna trade in problems in this forum.
But 500 is still quite a lot of money for me; I find it hard to believe that a dealer would risk
loosing a e18,500 deal for the sake of 500 quid.

But you have to remember unlike what people think most garages are happy to sell garages with sometimes little or no profit to shift the metal on, At this stage of the year there not willing to make a loss on stuff. I know I'd rather the Avensis sit on the fore court for another few weeks and get a Trade in I want than that Laguna, If you happy with the Avensis why don't you pay?

Based on what you say it looks like I'll have to.
But I'm going to try out a few other places first.
I'm still kicking myself for buying a Renault, everything on
that car is expensive to fix, I'd accept that if it were a top marque
but they're Renaults for Gods sake.

I wouldn't kick myself, You prob bought with safety in mind and if you were in an accident you cant put a price on that.
They are expensive to fix.

Get rid of the Renault somehow and then go back for an all cash deal. You have to remember that on a deal like that the dealer doesnt make any money until he shifts your Renault. And as Mr2 said for him the Avensis on the forecourt makes a lot more sense. BTW I'm sure your aware but cash doesnt have to be in you pocket even if you are financing the whole deal it is the same as cash to the dealer.

Excatly Crazywater, Buy straight to get the best deal and finance the whole lot in house or bank etc, if you want. The money part plays a smaller part than the Trade in.

Wait Bluespud, Don't confuse the forum. This won't affect the price of the car. Finance and what happens there and what people like to think happens there is a different forum.

Very true if you choose to use the finance that the dealer is offering.

In fact I have a friend who bought a car recently and entered into a dealer finance arrangement just so that he could get a better deal on the price of the car. Then he paid off the dealer finance with a loan from the CU. A bit too much hassle if you ask me but sure there you go, each to their own.

UPDATE:

I went to another Toyota dealer and they offered me an extra grand for my car
I ended up putting a deposit on a 05 Avensis with only 14K on the clock.

It has all ended well :)

Back