Labour must reject FG:union..

Eh, Eamon is 55, and add to that all politicians want power. I think that kind means he'll be seated on the gov.t benches next week in the Taniste's seat. I'll bet me (devalued )house on it !

Mick Wallace was on the radio this morning, he was saying that Labour should stay out of Govt as they'd be the largest party in 5 years after the next election. Whilst that may be somewhat wishful thinking, I also believe Labour are nervous after seeing what happened FF and the Greens

I can't help wondering how long it will be before Enda does a state of the nation address to announce that the financial state of the country is far worse then FF let on.

If Labour stay out of government this time around I don't think it will do them any damage regards how many seats they would get in the next election.
However, there is no guarantee they would get into government next time around.
If FF don't make big gains next time they might have to do the unthinkable and go in with FG.

I can't help wondering how long it will be before Enda does a state of the nation address to announce that the financial state of the country is far worse then FF let on.

I think you could bet on it.

I think we all know that things are much worse than we have been led to believe..
Enda and co will have to borrow a hell of a lot more than we ever thought,and will probably get a reduced rate due to the size of the loan..
....Off to convert my euros to dollars

Eh, Eamon is 55, and add to that all politicians want power. I think that kind means he'll be seated on the gov.t benches next week in the Taniste's seat. I'll bet me (devalued )house on it !

It's not up to Eamon. It's up to the Labour members who wlll be voting on the deal on Sunday.

The Labour "Grassroots" will follow their leader and vote to go into coalition with Fine Gael. Let there be no doubt about it, they will crawl into the marriage.

Still the people who got the country into the deplorable financial state it is in remain at large and living in luxury. One or two junior bearded Labour members will be screaming for arrests, which will not come.

I think its unions using reverse physcology..reason being ,they know labour will go into goverment,but they also know that labour will not get the deals that they went to the electorate with,the unions will then say we did not want this to happen and have "clean hands".
Bearing in mind how close the unions are to labour,i find it very hard to believe they dont want them in goverment,and by publicaly saying they dont,they satisfy the more left members,and of course are hedging their bets.

I know Complainer, but his imprematur will likely influence any vote.
Indeed it will, but I wouldn't be rushing to the bookies to place money on a deal being done. There is a vocal cohort of (mainly) younger members who are probably more left-leaning than most proposing that Labour move to opposition. It all depends on the deal. If there is a palatable deal on offer from FG, then it might go through. If they are as insufferable as I suspect after winning 76 seats, then it may well not go through.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a deal done. Far too many ministerial perks on offer and far to long in opposition already. The gravy train awaits..

There was a discussion about this on RTE News at One this afternoon.

With 76 seats, FG need the support, or absence of opposition, from just 7 other TDs. With FF unlikely to do anything the precipitate an election in the foreseeable future, their abstension would be enough for FG to get their policies implemented without the support of any Independents. Also, not every TD participates in every vote, so once FG have their TDs whipped into line, the other 89 votes (166, minus Ceann Comhairle, minus FG 76) might not materialise each time.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a deal done. Far too many ministerial perks on offer and far to long in opposition already. The gravy train awaits..
There is no gravy train for the people who get to vote on the deal, the ordinary members of the Labour party.

There is no gravy train for the people who get to vote on the deal, the ordinary members of the Labour party.

There are a lot of quangos and other organisations in need of Board members - it appears to be practice to give these positions out to party members of whoever is in power.

There are a lot of quangos and other organisations in need of Board members - it appears to be practice to give these positions out to party members of whoever is in power.
There are actually a relatively tiny number of board positions available, but regardless of the number, there will be no expection from the Labour members voting on Sunday that they're going to end up on boards (where the typical payment is about €500 for a full day meeting) - from [broken link removed]

Ladies & Gentlemen, you must understand that Labour Party members are of a higher moral calibre than the rest of us and as such are not prone to the same moral frailties that the lower orders succumb to.

Ladies & Gentlemen, you must understand that Labour Party members are of a higher moral calibre than the rest of us and as such are not prone to the same moral frailties that the lower orders succumb to.

Think you're being a bit harsh there. I mean equality and fairness are very laudable aims...instead of us having rich and poor (where the poor can, in most cases better their lot), we'll just have poor. It won't matter though cos we'll all be in the same boat, except for the special ones chomping on smoked salmon...must read Animal Farm again...it's sure to be on this Christmas' best seller list

How dare you??

What has Labour done in the past that would cause you any doubt that they wouldn't look after the working class ?
Lets see, Abolition of food subsidies, VAT on Kids shoes ( Can't have those women with small feet getting away with buying kiddy shoes after all !!)

Who are the "working class"?
I get my income from the work I do, so does my wife. Does that make us working class?
High earning hospital consultants, barristers, senior managers in large corporations are the same; they derive their income from the work they do.

People on welfare do not derive their income from the work they do so they are not working class. Yes?

Labour are a party that looks after middle income earners. They do not look after the poor, that’s for certain. That is clear because they support a high minimum wage which acts as a barrier to entry into the labour market. They support the unions; lobby groups that seek to protect their members from competition from the unemployed. They supported Benchmarking, a mechanism which transferred wealth from everyone including the poor to middle income earners.
Labour are the party of the pompous, the sanctimonious and the begrudgers. That’s why people who do well in the open sectors of the economy don’t support them and that’s why the poor don’t support them either (they used to vote FF, now they vote SF).

Their slogan should be, “Guilty about your comfortable life but resentful of your hard working neighbour that has more than you? Vote Labour!”