krakow poland

Scut&Gill

hi all
thinking of a trip to krakow in poland looking for info
thinking feb is it exspensive out there
thanks

We were there in November and included a trip to Warsaw. Flew into Krakow, stayed 3 nights then train to Warsaw where we stayed 2 nights then flew home from there.
Would really recommend Krakow, inexpensive and lots to see.
Try the link below for a free (and really useful up to date) downloadable city guide, you'll get an idea of prices and options. Expect 4 Zloty to the Euro.

http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/krakow

cheers barney
what hotel would you reckamend.would like some where walking distance from
everything maybe 3 or 4 star are there much difference .

Have you been to Poland before? It's not for everyone. I've been a few times and and hated it. Depressing, bleak and soulless together with mostly awful food and a population seemingly entirely unfamiliar with tourism and service. Krakow does seem to be better than most places but I found its architectural appeal wore off pretty quickly though. Cheap however.

Sorry to sound so negative but there you go. I'd try the Czech Republic instead if you're that way inclined.

Just my opinion.

Love Krakow. It was really cold there in late march so would worry about Feb particularly if you were visiting Auschwitch. For advice on best hotels look at

Krakow is about 15mins in a taxi then from the airport but apparently some taxi's outside the airport totally rip you off, I used www.hotelraider.com you can book an airport transfer, they check your flight details so if your late they know, it was agreed price, around 20euro each way in total for up to 4 people, airconditioned merc with english speaking driver, he was standing in the airport with a sign for us and then picked up again at hotel reception at exactly the time we asked him to.

used www.staypoland.com for hotel, great little site with maps, anything in the old town inside the "planty" (park that runs right around the city) is perfect, once your within a 10min walk of Market Square that's a great base. I stayed in the Campenile Hotel - standard 3star type hotel, was spotless, comfortable, v.helpful staff, buffet breakfast was ok, good coffee and an irish bar around the corner that served fantastic baguettes and full irish brekkie for those mornings when the strong polish beer took its toll! Hotel was only a 5min walk from the main square, and 5mins from a massive shoppng centre, was a brilliant location and there were nicer hotels in the same area too!

Didnt find it expensive at all really for food or drink, but you do need to walk into the little side streets off the main square to find some very cosy pubs, cafe's and restaurants. Make sure you have a hot beer!

Enjoy, I loved it!!

I loved Krakow too. Went for a weekend a couple of years ago and would certainly recommend it. Actually proposed to my wife there, unplanned, spur of the moment, just off the main square. Great place to walk arm in arm, soaking in the history.

I'll try get the hotels and restaurant details if it helps, but the food in the 'expensive' restaurants was superb in my opinion.

Hi S&G,

We stayed in the Wentzl Hotel, right on the square. It's currently Number 2 in Tripadvisor top list. It's a 4*, but we got a good deal through one of the hotel booking sites (not sure which now). Bonerowski Palace Hotel is on the opposite side of the square, also 4*, was our original choice but wasn't available for one of the nights we stayed. Both of these are small, boutique hotels rather than chain types and I can recommend both. Plenty of choice though at all price ranges.
If on a budget and staying a few days, consider staying in an appartment. Plenty of these in the guidebook I linked above. Some are also mentioned in Tripadvisor.

Caveat is obviously not thinking of applying for a job in the Polish Tourist Office in the near future....
"Depressing, bleak and soulless together with mostly awful food and a population seemingly entirely unfamiliar with tourism and service."

Our experience was the direct opposite in each category he mentions.

Caveat is obviously not thinking of applying for a job in the Polish Tourist Office in the near future....

Of course not. It means I'd have to actually go there again wouldn't it? ;)

Our experience was the direct opposite in each category he mentions.

Fair enough. Don't believe you about the food though. :p

Seriously, I eat almost anything but Polish food (together with Lithuanian)is the worst I've tasted. Everything was like a really bad version of something else. Mind you, I did have decent food in non-Polish places.

And again, I reiterate that Krakow was better than other Polish locations I have experienced.

around 20euro each way in total for up to 4 people

Costs approx €3 for the train which is just down the road from the airport and it takes you to the station which is right beside the shopping centre and Andels Hotel and is about 10mins walk to central square.

Have you been to Poland before? It's not for everyone. I've been a few times and and hated it. Depressing, bleak and soulless together with mostly awful food and a population seemingly entirely unfamiliar with tourism and service. Krakow does seem to be better than most places but I found its architectural appeal wore off pretty quickly though. Cheap however.

Sorry to sound so negative but there you go. I'd try the Czech Republic instead if you're that way inclined.

Just my opinion.

I see where Caveat is coming from. English is not widely spoken, even in a service provider kind of way, hostels etc. Although that has probably changed.

I was there a few years ago, I was travelling around Europe, I had only meant to stay in Poland a week but ended up there for nearly a month. I loved it. It's pretty bleak and has all the signs of a historically downtrodden nation. It does have it's charm.

I found the food and beer amazing. Of all the places I had ever been, I found the lack of English here was noticable. My polish came along quite abit, the locals are friendly even if they can't really understand you.

I spent a week in Krakow and got quite friendly with some local's in this old mans pub. What really stands out was my trip to auschwitz concentration camp. If only to visit this place, a trip to Krakow is worth it.

As I mention in every thread concerning Kraków, make sure not to miss the Wieliczka salt mine! It is a total gem. If you are short on time, there are companies that organize day trips covering Auschwitz I and II and then Wieliczka. No need to pre-arrange or pre-book anything from Ireland. Just get it sorted once you get there.

It is difficult for me to assess how many people speak decent English there (I am Polish and so never tried speaking English in Kraków). But with the huge competition between touristy businesses, I am sure there have to be at least a few companies catering specifically to foreign tourists, providing good, English-language services.

And yes, the train from the airport into town is a cheap and handy option. Just make sure to have Polish złoty ready. I do not believe you can pay the train ticket in euro. You can get złoty at the ATMs in the airport.

Just for the record, lack of English speakers was not a complaint I had. I speak some Polish as it happens.

Back