Knock exisiting kitchen/bathroom & rebuild in small terraced house

C

carol2012

Hi,

I really hope someone can help because I've no idea where to start.

I have a small terraced old red brick house, the original part of the house is okay but the kitchen and bathroom extention was thrown up badly a long time ago with low ceilings, horrendous damp, uneven walls....the list goes on. I really need to do something about it but i'm so far in to negative equity i can't spend much rebuidling them.
What I'd like to do is knock them and rebuild something decent but nothing fancy, just liveable (don't think there is anything there that is worth keeping).

I don't know where to start, do i need to get an architect? I just want something resonably basic, would a builder know what to do?
Would the fact that it would all need to be knocked and cleared and there is no rear access make it horrendously expensive? I don't know if it would cost €5k or €30k?

• I don't know where to start, do i need to get an architect?
  • I just want something resonably basic, would a builder know what to do?Would the fact that it would all need to be knocked and cleared and there is no rear access make it horrendously expensive?
  • I don't know if it would cost €5k or €30k?
  • contact 3-5 architects/technicians and bring them around for a free chat and fee quote (they'll be more than happy to)
  • they will prepare a design and detailed dwg & spec for 3-5 recommended builders to price - that way you get a fare price/quality
  • lack of rear access will increase the demolition cost but the only way to assess that is to get it priced - you could go directly to a builder now and ask for a ball park of for removal - but leave the conversation there, until you have detailed drawings and are tendering to at least 3 builders.
  • you haven't said what county/city your in, or what the size ftsq/msq of the rear extension is currently - budget at least 100€ a sqft (this is a ball park figure only) for discussions sake lets say that your extension extends 12ft and is 15ft wide = 180ftsq. that's 18g + 2 for professional fees + with a contingency of a least 5g(on a project of this size imo allow 25% of your expected build cost) = total €25g. but there is very little point in costings until you get someone on-site
  • there may also be boundary wall disruptions which may require at the very least a planning section 5 exemption - best to let your preferred arch check the on-site situation and advise you and possibly brief your neighbours from there.
best of luck

Thanks so much for the guidance, i didn't realise you could get architects to come around for a free chat, thats great to know and something i can get moving on!

Back