Knackered Punto

S

smemflynn

Hi All,

My 97 Punto SX has got 70k on it. It's recently serviced, but failed it's nct on a wonky axle and two bald front tyres. The tyres will cost €100 each (alloys). The service and wonky axle has already cost roughly €600 (there was an oil leak too..), so to pass it's nct, it will cost another €250 incl nct fee. Now the clutch has recently gone and I'm told this will cost about €300, and the gearbox is also likely to go which could cost over €500.

I've come to the conclusion that I think it might be time to get rid of this car, but as I've recently moved to the city centre, I'm not looking to replace it with another car.

What are my options regarding money for scrap, or would it be better to get the car fixed, nct'd and try and sell it?

Any advice much appreciated!

not worth the cost & effort to get it fixed, I'm afraid

you will probably get sfa for scrap also

The tyres are 15" low profile alloys. There's also a clarion front loader CD player in it and a set of 6 x 9 speakers in the back which are pretty good. The car is in very good nick on the outside..

engine, gearbox and cluch.....get rid of it, it will only cost you a lot of money in the long run. Sell the strereo seperately along with alloys. It shouldn't be that bad with 70k mind you

there's no way that you would have to pay 100euro for 15" tyres... even if they are low profile... shop around. i know of places that supply and fit top brand low profile 15" tyres from only €50.

there's no way that you would have to pay 100euro for 15" tyres... even if they are low profile... shop around. i know of places that supply and fit top brand low profile 15" tyres from only €50.

Sorry to hi-jack this... but I'm interested in knowing where I could get good brand tyres supplied and fitted for €50 ? I'm due to get some new tyres soon!

ta

Hi All,

What are my options regarding money for scrap, or would it be better to get the car fixed, nct'd and try and sell it?

Any advice much appreciated!

I'd be surprised if you got anything from a scrap yard. A lot of 'dirt' in a car in relation to the amount of metal.

Okay, well even if I got tyres for 50 squids I'd still be looking at towards a grand for all repairs.

For selling seperates, what's the best route - ebay?

I still have the original wheels for the car so if I took everything out of it, then drove it to a scrapyard, that might be the best thing?

I still have the original wheels for the car so if I took everything out of it, then drove it to a scrapyard, that might be the best thing?

I don't share your optimism that the scrap yard will give you anything for it. Why not ring them and ask them ?

Hammond Lane Metal (one of the bigger yards in Dublin) = 01 667 5335

Good luck

hi smemflynn,

its a no brainer,
scrap it!

pity you already put so much cash into it
(you should have read previous fiat posts on AAM!)

not only is your car worth less than the total estimated repair cost
but god knows what will go on it next!

sorry

JR.