Kitchen splashbacks any suggestions?

cara mc k

We have a new kitchen but don't want to put tiles as a splashback, but realise we have to have some protection for behind sink and the hob.

I have seen glass/metal type splashbacks, has anyone any suggestions what is best and where to buy them.

Many thanks
Cara Mc K

Stainless steel can look good in a modern kitchen, it's clean, wipeable and easy to fit, probably cheaper than a lot of tiles too.

Hi

Im not sure where you could get splash backs for the sinks but i know argos do a cooker splash back in glass that you mount on the wall and i think its about 35 euros. Worth a look maybe.

Thanks for your help, I also found out B&Q stock splashbacks so will investigate this too.

Many thanks
Cara Mc K

If you want a stainless steel splashback, go to a stainless steel fabricators and get a sheet cut to the required size. WAY cheaper than buying an off the shelf one in a DIY shop or kitchen fitters. I got a huge piece, about six foot by four for €64!!! Even some of the small ones in B&Q can cost as much as €200!

Leo

Avoid glass splashbacks, they are a pain to keep clean, and in time alot of dirt, grime etc gathers behind the glass. and the glass has to be removed to clean the wall ...

Leo, can you post the name/address of the supplier of the stainless steel sheet you got for your kitchen? I was thinking of the same thing but didn't know where to start.

tks

Hi Leo. I'm looking for stainless steel for a kitchen splashback. You were asked for the suppliers where you got yours cut to size from sheeting. I didn't see any reply from you - any chance you could post the name?

Thanks.

Sorry, just spotted that now. I got mine from Delvo Catering Systems. They're on the Malahide Road in Balgriffin. (01) 8484414. I've also picked things up for a friend from Stainless Steel Fabrication, U5 Hillcrest Ind Est, 12. (01) 4509799 who were equally cheap.
Leo

My mother bought her kitchen from Brouder and Murphy and it was great value. It is a cream country style kitchen in a big room. She seems very happy so they must have done something right!

I checked prices with B&Q locally, glass splashback is 80 euros WHEREAS on their website (UK-based) their glass splashback is 20 sterling. Rip off here we go again.

Howdy,

There are a large number of grades of stainless steel. However the two main grades available off the shelf are 316 and 304. Basically the grade refers to the carbon content in each. Anyway, the 316 grade stainless is a marine grade - ie: extremely non-corrosive and thus used outdoors. While the 304 grade is not as good and used indoors. You may have noticed stainless steel in public places where it is rusting. Yes - RUSTING!! - This can be due to the fact that the fabricator used the cheaper 304 grade for outside use. Possibly trying to make more money - as 316 stainless is pricey!

The good news is that 304 grade is perfect for your kitchen splash back. Rain water is corrosive - alot more than tap water. The spalsh back will not rust inside your house unless the supplier has had mild steel in contact with it.

In relation to cleaning the stainless. There are a number of surface finishes available. Again the two most popular are a mirror finish and a satin/brushed finish. The mirror finish is nice but shows up finger marks and is a nightmare to keep clean. I would always recommend the satin/brushed finish as it is really easy to clean. You use a scotch pad - similar to a brillo pad but not as evasive. The trick is to polish with the grain. If you examine the satin/brushed finished stainless steel closely you will see the grain.

Well, if you're not asleep now, you are 'tired'.......

Slan

Engineering....

Back