Kitchen solid wood.....or not!

Bamhan

I ordered my kitchen in solid walnut and it is being fitted as we speak.
The kitchen is being supplied by a local fitter but he orderes the kitchens in from Italy.
Now as I am browsing here on the internet I have discovered my solid walnut is in facty solid lime wood painted a walnut colour.
So I am in effect not getting a solid walnut kitchen.
This is surely fasle advertising.
Can he describe the kitchen as solid walnut when it is solid lime painted a walnut colour?
The kitchen is costing 16K.

False advertising I would say - nine years ago we put in a solid maple kitchen and that is exactly what we got ! I have heard of solid oak, solid walnut solid chestnut units etc being put in kitchens but they were all the real mccoy - i would be having a fairly rapid word with your supplier . Good luck.

I would be outraged and firstly ask for clarification and a proper resolution.

We haven't paid him a penny yet, the kitchen is installed.....waiting on the granite worktops.
He sold it to be as a Solid Walnut Door......
NO WAY is he going to get 16k from me for this kitchen as sure as hell ain't Ronseal! No way does it do exactly what it says on the tin.
This is not some fly by night guy, this is a large company with an excellent reputation and reccomended by me here to numerous people.
They are based in Croom and Killarney, won't name them.

This definitely smacks of fraudulent behaviour and false advertising.

Chances are that your kitchen actually originated out here in Romania. This country is stuffed with Italians all making walnut coloured furniture from Lime. Glue-lam panels out here cost about the same as 'A' quality pine panels, about 500 Euro a cubic metre. The same panels made from solid walnut would cost between 1200 - 1500 Euro a cubic metre.

Trust me. I know. I am in the timber industry in Romania and we recently started using Lime for a particular product range.

16k for a kitchen made from Lime is patently a rip-off in my opinion.

Should have asked me to make it! For less than half that price I would have made it for you, flown you out to inspect it, and then personally driven it up to you.

Seriously, though, you are being ripped-off! Tell them to take it out and send them a solicitors letter if necessary.

It's a Scavolini kitchen I'm sure. I got the cherry but knew that the product was not solid. Did you deal with the owner. He must be very trusting of you. I paid 40% on order, 50% more on delivery and the balance on completion. By the way I've heard that they are gone from Croom

Sounds like misrepresentation all right and that is wrong but lime is still a good hardwood and your price doesn't sound astonomical either if stone counters are included.

The 16K includes all fitted units, an undermounted franke sink and tap.
Baumatic double oven, five ring gas hob, extractor fan, integrated fridge freezer.
granite work tops to kitchen units, which run both sides of the kitchen, and an siland unit in the centre with a steamed beech top.
Also includes a dresser and all lighting to glass units etc.
But I was expecting this to have solid walnut doors which now it does not have.

Ted just saw your post, yes they are based out of Killarney now.
They had a problem with their staff some of whom left on short notice.
I happened to order the kitchen from one of the guys who left.
Yes I am dealing directly with the owner, he seems a very decent sort as well and has been a pleasure to deal with from start to finish which is why I am so shocked that this has arisen now.
I was never asked for money at all.
It is actually a kitchen from a Lyons brochure.......which they sell.
All I am waiting on now is worktops, I have all the kitchen complete with appliances.....and not one penny paid.
But I have the money set aside and am ready to give it to him as soon as he asks for it.
But I was told in writing several times that the doors were solid walnut.

This is the website I found which shows my kitchen it is the Classic one Genny at the bottom of the page and this was the first mention I saw of Lime wood painted instead of solid walnut.

[broken link removed]#

False alarm, got the wood checked yesterday evening and it is in fact solid walnut.

Back