Kitchen & Interior Design - Good book/magazine/website?

UnaS

Currently building my own house and i am trying to get some advice on planning a kitchen, interior design etc. Does anyone know of any books/magazine or websites that would be useful in guiding me in the right path?

Hi Una,

First thing when planning the kitchen is always to remember the 'golden triangle' = cooker/fridge/sink. In ideal kitchen it should be layed in a triangle way, but as always, exceptions can be made, all depends on the size of your kitchen.

Window facing the East would be perfect for sunny breakfast.

Think of what style you like? Modern & high gloss kitchens? Country style? Suggest to visit some kitchen showrooms to see what you really like, but be realistic, as I believe you have the budget in your mind already. See what you can get for it. Get few quotes from different companies. Personally, I even investigate manufacturers in different countries and compare quality/price.

Have a good lighting installed - you want a bright, clean spacious look in your kitchen, don't you? Light will add this feeling. (spot lights? - they look very contemporary. h/ever, if you're considering installing a breakfast bar - think of featured lighting, perhaps something more decorative of the same colour as focal point or curtains to match things). How about chandelier? - that will definately add elegance and posh look.

Tiles - if you go for LOOK only - 50x50 ivory/cream high gloss tiles would be perfect. They reflect the daylight and give the maximum space feeling. BUT... 1) you have to clean them often as whatever drops on the floors will be seen as per microscope... 2) just imagine if you spill something on the floor - those tiles are very slippy, so you can hurt yourself... Alternative - matt tiles with occassional gloss tiles of the same colour.

With 'masking' tiles (natural stone look, etc.) less care is required.

Hardwood in a kitchen is an expensive, but contemporary look.

Suggest to have kitchen units of the same colour, ie. stainless steel, black, etc.

When you'll come to a phase of choosing the colors, few tips:

Colors such as red, yellow and orange invite a person into a room with warmth and coziness. However, the cozy feeling these colors create in a large room can make a small room look even smaller. When using warm colors, be sure to intersperse whites and neutrals to balance some of their intensity.
amber, peach or coral in eating areas spark appetites and electrify the conversation, while red evokes emotions
if you go for monochromatic colors (cabinets matching the walls) - think of creating a focal point in the kitchen to bring it alive (or add come colourful curtains/blinds).

So, just few ideas...

Ema

P.S. Searching online is very time consuming. There are millions of websites, but filtering them will take you hours... Try Interior design magazines from Ireland and UK.

Do you know of any GOOD interior magazines in ireland though? Lot of them to choose from! Many thanks for your advice

There's a magazine called "All Ireland Kitchens" that comes out twice a year and I have found it really good for planning my kitchen. I think there should be one out soon, seems like a while since the Spring/Summer issue was out. Sorry, don't know about interior design mags.

I found the ikea website really good - even if you are not planning on buying from the. It has lots of pictures of different types of kitchens and has a kitchen planner tool which you can use. They have a brochure too which has even more designs.

Back