Kitchen extention rebuild - party wall & costs?

D8Lady

Hi folks,
I really would appreciate some comments on 2 kitchen extension problems I have.

Background: Bought house with hideous extension that had a retention order on it. Who ever agreed to its retention should have been fired….long story. I doubt that it will last another winter.

Problem no. 1: The house is mid-terraced & looks like the party wall was used in its construction. Given that the build was legal when I bought it, can I use the same dimensions again? Can I knock the wall down & build it again properly?

Problem no 2 – Costs: I was quoted 120K for knocking down & rebuilding! This is a 16 x 10 foot extension, tiled roof, 2 velux windows, 1 regular window, 1 door. Homebase / Panelling centre kitchen units. Nothing fancy. One relative is a plumber, a neighbour is a brickie, a relative can get an electrician, need to find a roofer, I’ll be filling skips etc etc. Is it possible to do this type of job for 30 – 35K?

Any comments appreciated.

I built extension 16 x 9 for play room for kids, also got supporting wall taking down to make dining room and kictchen open plan, Plumber and sparks cost nothing ie me bro and his son, so all in cost 21K which included solid wooden floor layed in the extension and open plan room, 2 velux, used window we took out for extension window, the knocking down you should manage if anyway handy with a few friends to give you a hand, make sure you get the roll on skip cost around 900E but worth for what you are doing, I think if u know the right people it can be done for around what you are looking for, I was qouted 40K for my work and that included me looking after sparks and plumber, so I think do it but plan it out fully, someone will know a roofer, if u want number for guy who did the block work and slabing, plastering sent mess

Thanks Dodo.
The prices I've been quoted are nuts.
I live near Macs reclaimation yard in Kilmainham so I'll be rummaging around there for windows, door etc.

I agree with your planning comment - once I have all the details drawn up it should make execution easier.

D8L

D8Lady,

Would you mind telling me more about this reclamation yeard in Kilmainham? I'm thinking of doing something similar (in the far future, but always good to collect info in advance).

Many thanks
Petal

Hi Petal,
The yard is full of salvage material from builders and property rennovation.
Builders on large schems will buy in bulk. e.g 60 bathroom suites. Some of these will be damaged on sites so there are always oddments left over. Or a fork lift truck will run into a pallet of plaster board. It may damage 10 boards but leave 20 that are usable. Sometimes churches or schools are being refurbished so you get pews, old school desks.

Its definately the place for railways sleepers and giant lumps of granite.

If you know what you are looking for, have the patience to wait for it and pounce when it is available, then its the place for you. Its open 6 days.

Name: MAC’S SALVAGE WAREHOUSE,
Address: 749 SCR, Islandbridge, D8,
No: 01 679 2110.

Directions: If you go in in the gate of St. John of God school, Islandbridge, and turn left you will see the yard.

D8L