kitchen extenstion

nuttybud

Hi

Im thinking of building a kitchen extenstion across the width of house into back garden.

How many ft can you go out without planning permission?

Also extending it would make the middle room very dark. There is already a small window in the side but is it possible to put in a larger window to get a bit of light into it without getting planning permission?

Thanks

Open to correction on this, but I don't think there is a limit on how far from the exisitng back wall of the house you can go out - I think there was previously. You can now build up to 40sq meters without planning permission, single story, as long as you have enough outdoor space(garden) reminigng - not sure how much that has to be but I think 25sq meters.
i'm sure there are further details depending on house etc, somone will undoubtedly link to the relevant info. we have just built similar in 3 bed semi, large garden, went back over 7 merters - width 5 meters.

You'll need planning for the window in the side....Does it overlook a neighbour by chance? If not (more tha 27 feet away i think it is) planning permission should be fine. I had this done a few years back.

We did this 5 years ago and our middle room is very dark. If you can put in a window do. I wish we had.

900TS - can you please let us know the approximate cost of your extension. We are thinking about buying a house and doing something similar, so it would be great to know how much to budget for.
Many thanks

Re window:
its an end of terrace with side entrance- We do have a neighbour beside us but she also has a side entrance and there is a 6ft wall between us. The window just looks out at our wall.

Would you really need to get planning permission to enlarge the window?
"What if" I just put in a bigger window, whats the chances of the council finding out/doing anything about it?
Would it only effect us if we wanted to sell ina few yrs?

I just dont want to spend the time and money on the planning permission just to enlarge a window or would this be a quick straightforward process? :(

Rather than putting in a window looking onto a wall, why not consider putting in a glass wall to brighten the room? Would be an interesting feature to add.

Dilemma,

totla approx cost is 75K - but that includes installing bathroom and utility where existing kitchen was, removing chimney and other stuff like doors in existing house. Cost of 400 sq ft extension alone about 55-60K - finished, including tiles, kitechen etc. Dublin prices. But depends on spec etc.

Back