kitchen counter top

dillons

Hi,
The developers of my house have replaced my 2yr old kitchen counter top because it was warped... it was a wood laminate the same as the cupboard doors. They told me to choose a 40mm thickness counter top which I did.
They have fitted it but I can't believe what they have done with it.... the original was 65cm in depth & this one it seems is 60cm, so they left a gap of 5cm at the wall & then put another strip (approx 8cm) on top of this (which is not even same counter top... similar but different splash pattern!). It looks terrible!
I am going to contact them & tell them it's unacceptable but I expect to get some opposition.
Can anyone tell me if 65cm depth is unusual for kitchen counter top & will I have trouble sourcing one??
just want to have my answers ready if they tell me there is no other alternative available... the original kitchen shop is closed & there's only 1 other in Ireland supplying the kitchens (Leicht - German).

Tks.

600mm is the standard width, but counters are sometimes available up to 700 or 750mm, intended for breakfast bars etc.

Tks Carpenter, I was hoping you would reply as I know you know about these things!
I found out from the place they got it that they also do 670mm, double curved edge for breakfast bars that they could have got & cut to fit against the wall.
Do you think I am being unreasonable not accepting it as it is? have you ever seen fitted like this? (gap & extra strip on top to cover gap)
tks.

I don't think you are being unreasonable, they could have alerted you to what their proposed remedy was- especially if they were not going to replace like with like. I'm assuming the 80mm is overlaps the counter and is not sitting on it's edge. It's not unusual to see a splash back fitted on edge, around the counter top but the solution your builder has used is a bodge, designed to conceal a mistake- it's an obvious flaw, liable to attract dirt and grime and effectively reduces the useable space of your counter top. You have to ask yourself the question: "would this solution be acceptable in a brand new fit-out- if I were starting from scratch" . The answer is a resounding "no!". Third time lucky, maybe?

yes the 80mm overlaps & sits on top of the counter & doesn't even match the new fitted counter (different black/gray splash pattern)!
I had to go completely different to the old one due to supply limitations so was never going to get like with like but I think to overlap 80mm at the wall with a different countertop is ridiculous.
I think it would have been better to do as you mention, the splash back, you often see that with granite, better still to get the 670mm & cut to 650mm. Cowboys!
hopefully 3rd time lucky.
Tks for your replies.

Hi Dillons

Hope you don't mind but off subject, how is the rest of your Leicht kitchen. We're considering this German brand at the moment and would welcome your opinion on it. Is your problem with the work surface (warping) a separate issue or is it a problem with the Leicht made. Would welcome any comments.

Thanks

Back