Kitchen Ceiling Height Compliance - two engineers' opinions are conflicting with each other

elfone

I would greatly appreciate some guidance on a matter related to the property I am in the process of purchasing.
Recently, during the property survey, a concern regarding the kitchen ceiling heigh was raised and the viewpoints from two engineers have conflicted.

My surveyor noted that the ceiling height in certain areas of the property does not meet the 2.400mm requirement as per current building regulations – since the ceiling height in the kitchen/dining room is measured at 2360mm. The surveyor expressed concerns that this may not comply with regulations, making the kitchen inhabitable and impacting the overall market value of the property. The report also suggested that rectifying this issue could be costly or even unfeasible at this stage.

Conversely, the current owner engaged a structural engineer who provided a different opinion, stating:

“There is no issue here, and no certification or structural work is required. A kitchen is deemed a non-habitable space, and therefore the 2.4m height is a recommendation, not a requirement. Furthermore, the good ventilation provided by the adjoining Velux windows in the extension is sufficient.”

Upon reviewing the building regulations myself, I noticed that the 2.4m ceiling height seems to be a recommendation - since it says "suggested" - rather than an absolute requirement. The document also highlights that other factor, such as adequate ventilation and natural light, can help satisfy the standards for habitable rooms.

Given the conflicting views, I would greatly appreciate your expert opinion on the following:
  • Is a ceiling height of less than 2.400mm in a kitchen truly non-compliant with building regulations, or is it a recommendation?
  • Should I be concerned about potential long-term implications, particularly regarding future resale value or compliance issues?

As you say, the TGD-F (ventilation requirements) contains recommendations but no absolute requirement. However, local development plans can apply more onerous requirements, like DCC for example who set absolute minimums for apartments.

If this is not an apartment in Dublin and the ceiling height does not bother you, plough on. The surveyor will likely just be highlighting this so you don't complain about it later rather than warning you off purchasing.

When was the house built ?
Is the kitchen part of an extension ?
You could ask that their structural engineer provide an opinion of compliance with building regulations for the house, or extension , whichever is applicable, then they are taking liability for any possible contravention.

Back