Kirby vacuum cleaners

fobs

Just wondering if any AAM contributors have a Kirby Vacuum cleaner and what their impressions of them are. We had a recent demonstration of one and they seemd impressive especially as someone in our househld has Asthma.

However the price - 2600 euro - seems excessive for any type of hoover system. We were told we could claim back the cost on our Med1 (as it has a HEPA filter so suitable for Asthma). I'm not too interested but my partner was very impressed so wanted to get any feedback from anyone owning this machine.

Their sales tactics also put me off purchasing the item so far as they want you to commit to the machine on the night of the demo with discounts if you do which didn't impress me and makes me even more cautious.

I'd be very wary of anyone using these sales tactics. I've never heard of anyone claiming the cost of a vacuum just because it has a HEPA filter, surely some of the other manufacturers would pick up on this as asthma is becoming more prevalent these days.

Other manufacturers produce machines with HEPA filtration at a fraction of this price; Dyson and Morphy Richards among them. Dyson's have British Allergy Foundation approval, though this does not necessarily mean they are superior.
Leo

We had a long post on these guys about a year and a half ago. I cant seem to find the post now.

They use very powerful sales techniques. Try googling for kirby vacuum cleaners.

aj

I tried googling on them but can only find an American consumer site but this wasn't too glowing in its description of the company. I tried to search on this site about them but the search came back with nothing.
It was the pressure to decide on the night that put me off the product as any product that is worth buying should allow you to make your mind up when it suits you to purchase.

A friend of mine worked for them in the west oh Id say about 8 years ago now. Didnt last long with them, commission only job, 7 days a week. Manager on the other end of line at end of each sales pitch wondering why there hadnt been a sale, very pushy. Gave us a demo, very impressive the dirt the machine does remove. Back then they had a sliding scale of commission vs the price they sold it to the customer for. If you really are interested in it, hold out for a better price. My friend told me that there was hundreds in the difference between the price they first pitch at and the lowest price they could go to. Its just their commission suffers if they drop the price. But it was possible.

We have decided to not purchase this product. CAnnot find any mention of getting MED1 relief for any kind of vacuum system.
The only positive to come out of the demo is I am doing more hoovering/dusting as a result. Thanks for the replies.....

fobs said:
We have decided to not purchase this product. CAnnot find any mention of getting MED1 relief for any kind of vacuum system.
The only positive to come out of the demo is I am doing more hoovering/dusting as a result. Thanks for the replies.....

You or your cleaner?!

Actually re-reading has jogged a mamory of a TV show talking about these demos. They made the point that if you re-vacuumed an area with your existing vacuum you'd pick up more dust anyway, they used a piece of fine material beween connections on the hose to demonstrate.

Well done on saving your money!
Leo