Kimmage Road, anyone any experiences of this area its near the Sundrive Shopping Cent

Green

Looking at a house on the Kimmage Road..Advertised as Kimmage but think its Crumlin..anyone any experiences of this area its near the Sundrive Shopping Centre ..thks

Re: Kimmage Road

There's no Dublin Rd in Dublin, no Navan Rd in Navan or Ennis Road in Ennis. By definition if a road has the name of a place in it's name it's because it's the road to there, it isn't in the place itself.

The property is advertised as Lower Kimmage Road, Kimmage, what can I do? Do you have any specific information about the area?

Hi we have recently bought a house near the Kimmage Road lower and have found it great. it's a really settled neighbourhood. It's also within a 2 minute walk of everything. Only problem is the traffic in the mornings down the Kimmage Road heading into town. However it tends to free up at the end of the Harolds Cross road so it's not too bad.

Lower Kimmage Road is definitely Kimmage, definitely not Crumlin, and not even, despite the efforts of some local estate agents, Terenure either. I live on Lower Kimmage Road - it's a nice area, with a surprisingly "neighbourhood" feel given that it's a main road, though that may vary depending on which stretch you're on. Plenty of local amenities. If you have more specific questions you can post follow ups or pm me if you like.

I agree. Lwr Kimmage Road is Kimmage. I live nearby in Crumlin and love the area. Walking distance to canal and into town, doesnt cost the earth to get taxi's to town and buses are regular and reasonably reliable. Traffic is bad but i often find that as you get close to town, they are several routes you can take to avoid traffic. As you go up Sundrive road, the area does progressively get rougher (only slightly) but there is a definite community feel.....quiet an old neighbourhood which is nice. definitely an area to consider.

This is how nice the area is:
[broken link removed]

This guy lives one block behind lower kimmage road, poddle park, and it's very rough.
Sure nice people live there but so do a load of scumbags.

Hi,
Yeah you're right - it's not great.
The section of the kimmage road below the sundrive cross roads - closest to town is very nice.

Not that I have anything against corporation housing - but there is a big corporation area between Sundrive cross road and the KCR. All the little brats from the housing estates hang around there because that's where the shops, chippers and everything else is.

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as it used to be but that is where crack head in the story in the link that you provided is from.
That had to be the worst and sickest nights crime spree I had heard of.

above the KCR is very nice again – heading for tempologue.

I'd live in the top or bottom section but not the middle section - its up to yourself.

As for the question - is it Crumlin or Kimmage (which used to be the cheapest and second cheapest places on the monopoly board) - well it doesn't really matter.

If you like plenty of action and excitement in you life - not always for the better - go for it.

Oh come on...there are alot of threads with more positive reports. I agree dont walk into any area with you're eyes closed and find out who you're neighbours are and what happens on a weekend night etc.... BUT the area has many young people living there, is a hop skip and a jump into town, has a community feeling and the 'rougher' residents can be ignored very easily. Maybe i am biased by living in the area but i think i can also give a greater insight than someone who reads about the area on the internet or in the newspapers............................

I have a friend who used to work in a pub on that road and he said the clientelle left a lot to be desired. Said he didnt enjoy working there one bit. I've been into that particular pub once and i certainly wouldnt be going there again.

Going by your rekoning Newbie - dolphins barn is also a hop skip and a jump into town, has a community feel and also contains lots of young people
but would you live there?

I drove down kimmage road around 5pm two months ago a saw a young lad breaking the lock on a parked car with a screwdriver - I presume that he didn't leave his keys in his other tracksuit.

The pub on kimmage road - locally known as the 'flying bottle'

Not that I have anything against corporation housing - but there is a big corporation area between Sundrive cross road and the KCR. All the little feckers from the housing estates hang around there because that's where the shops, chippers and everything else is.
That's nonsense. As in simply not true. There's corporation housing behind some of Lower Kimmage Road, but none on it (bar about three houses on a brownfield redevelopment site built in the last half dozen years: they may be council owned), and a few less savoury kids hang around outside the Esso garage sometimes (and as I've mentioned elsewhere), but they're not generally a problem.

They don't hang around at the row of shops by Sundrive road late at night, and the shops there aren't 24 hour.

As for the question - is it Crumlin or Kimmage (which used to be the cheapest and second cheapest places on the monopoly board) - well it doesn't really matter.

If you like plenty of action and excitement in you life - not always for the better - go for it.
I'm all for giving people the cons as well as the pros, but frankly the kids from Poddle Park don't hang around on Lower Kimmage Road, and the Four Roads is a very different area as well. I don't drink in the "local" pub because I don't much like it either - but no-one I know on the road does drink there. I've never been entirely sure who it's a local for...

And please be a little less vitriolic in your criticism when it is apparent that some of the posters live in and like the area over which you're busily spewing bile. :mad:

There's no Dublin Rd in Dublin, no Navan Rd in Navan or Ennis Road in Ennis. By definition if a road has the name of a place in it's name it's because it's the road to there, it isn't in the place itself.

By that rationale Crumlin Road would not be in Crumlin (which it is) and Terenure Road would not be in Terenure(which it is)...

having lived between us in ranelagh, rathgar, rathfarnham, lucan, london, wexford and ennis the one thing that is true for all areas is that there are good and bad people everywhere. we are moving to kimmage following the advice we receoved on here and because we love the house. since the people moving out have lived there since the early 80s we reckon it's a proven track record. we have done many 'drive bys' and talked to people living there and investors who have propoerty there so feel we have done our homework. hope to get a gold star!

no matter where you live in city you gotta be careful, the days of leaving your doors open are gone. having said that i just realised yesterday i left my car unlocked in the drive way for the last four days!! see- good and bad everywhere! :)

Going by your rekoning Newbie - dolphins barn is also a hop skip and a jump into town, has a community feel and also contains lots of young people
but would you live there?

Yes i would actually live in parts of it, just as i would live in parts of any neighbourhood. Don't brand a whole area as 'bad' because of one particular pub or an incident that you witnessed. In my job, I work with people from disadvantaged areas with little or no income who very often live around Crumlin, Rialto or Dolphins Barn and i can tell you that they are the salt of the earth. I don't know you and I wouldnt even begin to judge you nor do you know me so dont even begin to pigeonhole me according to way you live.

I live in Kimmage and it's a great area. So close to town & superquinn on your doorstep. Agree there are kids hanging around but never seen any trouble. That post about the druggie could and does happen anywhere. For us it was a Q of ease of access to work/town and Kimmage does it for us.

I lived in Kimmage 3 years ago and still visit the Kimmage Road Lower area regularly as I have friends there.
I have always found the area to be quiet. I agree with Firefly. Its close to town and has the Superquinn right beside it.
As for the pub, I would never go in there. I can also name rough pubs in Ranelagh & Rathmines that I would not venture in to. That does not mean Ranelagh is a bad area.

One thing I would say though, when it comes to selling (or buying for that matter) D6W is a better address than D12. Just be careful which side of the road you buy at.
And I actually mean on the left or right as you head out of town. Do bear that in mind. Check the code with the local post office.

Back