Killester

taytoman

Looking at a house in killester, an a road called school avenue (beside the two schools...)

Any general info, info an these two primary schools, distance to dart, secondary boys & girsls schools in area (near pauls raheny or manor park raheny?), safety area etc etc??

Any help appreciated

Used to rent there. Nice area. 10 minutes to Tara St. on the DART-can be difficult to get on, but a short journey.

I grew up just around the corner so am biased! School Ave is right beside St Brigids Primary and St Marys secondary - both girls schools. Primary has a v. good reputation. Secondary used to have a v. good name but went slightly downhill a few years ago - attendee numbers were dropping and lots of students were commuting from further afield. Other girls secondaries in the general area are Holy Faith Clontarf and Manor House Raheny, both very good schools. For boys you have St Brigids Boys School, about ten min walk from School Avenue, facing Killester Church on the Howth Road. Theres no boys secondary in Killester per se, most kids go to St Pauls on Vernon Avenue (around the corner from the primary school), St Fintans in Sutton, St Davids in Artane, Joeys in Fairview or Ard Scoil Ris in Marino. School Avenue can get a bit crowded in the am and at lunch time with kids being collected from school etc. Its less than ten mins to the dart station from there and you have good selection of newsagents etc in several directions, all less than 10 mins away. In general terms, a nice area, well established schools and good community spirit. And for info, Roddy Doyle use to live on School Avenue ! If you want to know anything else about the area, just ask

Thanks for responses. The house is indeed roddy doyles old house.
Just 2 questions

1. parking is very problematic- would you need planning permission to alter front walls to create a driveway (there is a driveway off to the side but it is inadequate- the small front garden is ringed by a low wall with a pathway up to the door)

2. One or two of houses on road (out 0f 9)are unloved - one in particular is very unkept looking with various stuff flung in the front garden, The others look ok, and one of them looks super but has gates up around it; Am I being pernickity about this?

Thanks for responses. The house is indeed roddy doyles old house.
Just 2 questions

1. parking is very problematic- would you need planning permission to alter front walls to create a driveway (there is a driveway off to the side but it is inadequate- the small front garden is ringed by a low wall with a pathway up to the door)

2. One or two of houses on road (out 0f 9)are unloved - one in particular is very unkept looking with various stuff flung in the front garden, The others look ok, and one of them looks super but has gates up around it; Am I being pernickity about this?

Saw the house on daft - seems like good value to me (but what do I know)

Good luck with the buy.

Re: the above queries, I'd imagine you might be well served asking a neighbour or two about the lie of the land

Was wondering if you bought the house in school avenue and what the area was like. If you didn't buy were there any particular reasons why not. Asking as there is another house for sale on the road which looks nice.

Looking at a house in killester, an a road called school avenue (beside the two schools...)

St. Marys, the secondary school is very high up on the league tables.

Hi There,Im probably a bit too late in posting a reply as I think I have allready seen a "sold" sign on yes indeed Roddy Doyles old house.I just live around the corner and moved in two years ago the area is very quiet except sometimes at night people coming home from pubs etc but I suppose thats everywhere now.I know the people who had a bid on that house and had to back out because of problems with selling theirs and as far as I know it was for 900k so I think you may have done ok.The two local primary schools are first class St Brigids boys and girls and from these you get to know a lot of locals .Overall it is a very good area and one which is likly to allways hold its value because of its location and type of hosing and aminities .May I wish you the best of luck

For the record and to bring this thread to a close, I bought this house. So far so good......

later

J

Back