Killarney - Ring of Kerry etc.

MBoyle

Going to Kerry for 3 nights in August.
Thinking of basing ourselves in Kilarney and travelling around.
Can anyone recommend where is nice to go in Kerry?
Where is the ring of Kerry? What towns does it take in?
And can anyone recommend a good B&B in Kilarney close to town centre.

Thanks,

J

Re: Kilarney - Ring of Kerry etc.

Gap of Dunloe
Molls Gap
Coolmore Wood
Sneem
Kenmare
Muckross House & Lakes
Further afield - Dingle, Waterville, Connor Pass
plenty to do and see in the kingdom

Are the 1st 6 within easy reach of Kilarney?

What do you like doing? Hiking, cycling, watersports,, horse riding in the national park, shopping, long lunches, or really tourist things- horse & cart ride through muckross, or a boat on the lakes, dolphin watching off dingle, some sort of irish dance/music show? You can find all of this and more in Killarney and the surrounds but if you give pointers on what you'd like to do we can try to advise.

What do you like doing? Hiking, cycling, watersports,, horse riding in the national park, shopping, long lunches, or really tourist things- horse & cart ride through muckross, or a boat on the lakes, dolphin watching off dingle, some sort of irish dance/music show? You can find all of this and more in Killarney and the surrounds but if you give pointers on what you'd like to do we can try to advise.

Sounds great! I take it ur a Kerry native/fan!

We like scenery,mountains, lakes etc. Cud you tell us where to do the horse & cart ride through muckross and the boat on the lakes, and maybe some info on the irish dance/music show and where to go for nice lunches/evening meals... That will get us started!
Thanks for ur help!

Hi Jupiter. All of the things you are most interested in are in Killarney. All the jarveys congregate in the town centre or in Muckross ( just go along and haggle on the day. Muckross and the national park have umpteen different walks that you can do- you'll be able to pick up details anywhere in Killarney. If you base yourselves in the town you will be able to walk into the national park from where you can catch a boat ride on the lakes ( remember Jackie Healy Rae and the famous 'don't feed the gondolas' remark- this was about the boats on Killarney lakes). The INEC ( google, think there's a website) run shows throughout the year and there will almost certainly be an irishdance/music show on during your visit. From Killarney you can also take day trips to Kenmare and West Cork and around the ring of Kerry should you want to venture further. But even within Killarney itself and the immediate surrounds you will find plenty to occupy you for a week. Molls gap is about 7km from the town, scenic, but not for timid drivers. You used to be able to do a donkey/ponyride, don't know if they still do.

As for nice lunches/meals, Killarney is full of nice restaurants. Just take a wander around the town and you're sure to hit on a nice place.

I'm going to Killarney in late August.....anything to keep a 3 year old occupied...?......best beach, pet farm etc...

I'm going to Killarney in late August.....anything to keep a 3 year old occupied...?......best beach, pet farm etc...

Kennedy's Pet Farm - about 4 miles from Killarney on the Cork road. Pretty good value. Crag caves just outside Castleisland (if you're coming from Dublin/Limerick) has a decent playground set up fi you wan to break the journey.

I would reccomend Kennedy's Pet Farm - I've took nieces and nephews (all under 6) there last summer on a rainy dull day - they had a ball.

There is also a great playground across the road from the Cathedral. It's really safe and totally closed in. If the weather is really bad there is a new child adventure place called Toby's World after opening up in Tralee, prices are fairly reasonable and it caters for tots to teens. There is also a cafe there for the folks.

There's one of those indoor adventure centres in Killarney too. I think it's called Buddies? Actually I haven't been there but I have seen it advertised. It's probably along the same lines as the one in Crag Caves- that one is perfect for a three year old- it's an indoor and outdoor playground with bouncy castles, slides, soft play areas etc etc. There's a cafe right in the middle so you can sit down and have a coffee while your child plays around you. Personally I would recommend going before lunch at this time of year because after lunch it's far too busy and one three year old on his own might be a bit intimidated and you'll find it too busy to keep track of him.

The pool boy- I see you asked about beaches. From Killarney you can either go via Killorglin to Glenbeigh beach or via Tralee to Banna Beach. Both are lovely. Killorglin is a great town but just don't go during Puck fair with a three year old! Or maybe do if you like crowds. But it is really mental back there for the three days- you'd have to park a bit outside and walk in. Glenbeigh is a really nice beach and there's a pub overlooking the beach that serves lunches/ teas and coffees and the usual. I haven't been to Banna since I was a kid myself but it is huge. And of course Tralee has shopping/restaurants etc. There's the indoor adventure centre/playground open in Manor and in the same complex Tesco have a restaurant upstairs that do kiddie meals ( chips/nuggets and the like) and plenty of changing areas.

Vanilla...many thanks for the beach tips..hopefully the weather will be good enough to use them.

Would those beaches be better than Inch...?

Ah Inch, no not better, just better signposted if you're not from the area. No, Inch is lovely- probably not much in the way of amenities in the area but the beach itself is grand.

Glenbeigh is a really nice beach and there's a pub overlooking the beach that serves lunches/ teas and coffees and the usual

Is that Rosbeigh a few miles down the road ?

Glenbeigh is a really nice beach and there's a pub overlooking the beach that serves lunches/ teas and coffees and the usual

Is that Rosbeigh a few miles down the road ?

Yes- that should read 'Glenbeigh has a really nice beach'- get to Glenbeigh and you can't miss it!

Back