Killarney Rally of the Lakes

Flexible

Hi

Was hoping to head away for the weekend to Kerry and would like to take in a stage of the Car Rally. I have never been to this car rallly before and dont know what route it takes and dont particularly want to stay in Killarney itself. Does anyone know the route and any good vantage points and possible other towns or villages near a stage.I have search rally websites to no avail and hopefully someone from The Kingdom may be able to help.

Thanks in advance

Hi it takes some different routes every year. You should go to a service station most of the ones in west cork/kerry/macroom/skibb/clon etc.. have programmes for the rally which will include maps for the stages. Be warned be at the stage location well in advance of time as traffic at each stage will be crazy! Mol's gap espically. Also look at www.rallyofthelakes.com for some info! The won't print the stages on internet. So you must buy a programme!! They're €10 normally. Hope you have a great weekend.
Carchick (rally addict!!)

What? A car rally in Killarney this week-end? Myself and Mrs Oldtimer have booked what we thought would be a lovely ''relaxing'' bank holiday break in Killarney. Will we be caught up with Honda Civics on the Lakes? Will Killarney be full of youngsters? What a disaster for us.

Yes I wouldnt describe Killarney town as going to be relaxing this weekend to be honest - It's normally wild for the rally and I have been going down to it for the last 10 years.Also most of the roads around the town will be packed and if you intended touring the lovely countryside down there this may have an impact on your plans.

Aren't the Garda Riot Squad frequently called into action in Killarney at Rally time?
I think it has the potential to be a nightmare of a romantic weekend..

Thanks Carchick for your answer will probably head down and hope for the best. Wont be following the whole rally just one corner of one stage if possible and if anyone can give pointers of anywhere with easy access - please advise.

Sorry Flexible Won't be any quiet corners!!! Enjoy the rally! This year should be good!

Have a look here: [broken link removed]
...enjoy the dust and loose chippings :eek:)

Phew! Thanks Flexible for opening this thread. Was booked in for nice quiet week-end at Killarney, knew nothing about rally. Have now cancelled my booking - going two weeks later. I hope Killarney will be safer then.

Back