Kilkenny

hokey32

Hello,

My boyfriend and I were considering moving to Kilkenny next year after spending 10 years in dublin. Could anyone reccommend quiet/mature housing estates withing walking distance of the city maybe for around €250 - €300k (is this realistic?!). I know the city very well but not the residential areas.

Cheers,
H

My wife and I are both living in dublin also, and both from KK. Would love to move back there, if only there were jobs :)

KK is quite expensive for property, by comparison (to say Limerick, Galway, Waterford). I've never quite understood it, to be honest. There is very little Industry in KK, so I've never understood where the money is coming from to buy the 700k houses down there. A lot of people work for the banks/insurance etc.

The better areas tend to be closer to 400-450k for 4-beds, but check on daft and myhome and you should get a beter idea.

We've been tracking the prices down there for about 6months, and there are a great deal of houses still unsold, and some proces are down about 10% over the past few months.

There are some other nice towns in the South East where property is not nearly as expensive as Kilkenny. Could never understand the basis for the high prices myself. We do go out there occassionally but generally get a cab from where we live in a town outside the city.

I live in a quiet housing estate in Kilkenny about 1.5 miles from the city and I must say I do love living here, but you will need more than your 300k to get what you are looking for. A four bed three years ago located as you describe would have cost that, 350k would buy you a semi-detached four bed now. I have one for sale if you are interested!!! I would look at College Square on the Callan Road, a nice development about 2 miles from the centre of town and in an area which is soon to be developed as part of Kilkenny's western environs, also close to the ring road but not close enough for any road noise. I would also look at some of the outlying villages like Kells or Gowran which are attracting a lot of people at the moment, developments there tend to be small in size and the villages themselves are well served by local shops and amenities and are also not far at all from the city.

3 bed semis - less than a mile away from KK castle have recently gone for less that 260k. Loughboy/Ardnore area. (15-20 mins walk into town)

Back