Kilcoole, Co Wicklow: whats it like for night out, primary schools, things to do etc?

mprsv1000

Any thoughts on Kilcoole?
whats it like for a night out, primary schools, things to do etc?

Re: Kilcoole, Co Wicklow: whats it like for night out, primary schools, things to do

Fantastic primary school, from when Independents propped up FF (Mildred Fox). Kilcoole and Greystones are one and the same now, so good dart and bus service to Dublin. No good restaurants and bars in its own right, you would need to taxi in to Greystones.

There is an X mas tree factory there ( was when I was on college any way )
where your off spring can merrily pack artificial christmas trees to wile away the summer!!

Your offspring will end up with an accent that will get them slagged if you move anywhere else, but it's a nice enough place. Not much going on there in the way of an exciting social life though.

As a Cork man I'm not to worried about the accent.....what about the outdoor life?

Kilcoole is a lovely villlage to live in, good schools and there are 3 pubs there I think and cannot remember the name of them but have been in 2 of them and liked them..had a good night anyway. We live in Wicklow but have friends in Kilcoole. It's a nice location too, close to M11 and you would be better to go to Bray to get the dart into town. The 84X bus service into town is very good, it's a express in the mornings and evenings. Glenroe Farm is a nice couple of hours out for the kids, but you can also go to so many other places around.

Your offspring will end up with an accent that will get them slagged if you move anywhere else,

Just to add that the majoriry of accents down there now are Dublin accents and the odd Wickla twang but so what???. I'm not from Wicklow and we have 2 kids and the accent thing never bothers me and I grew up with a Scottish father and Mayo mother in Dublin and Kildare!!

A lot of building in Kilcoole (where hasn't) but still has a real village atmosphere. 84x takes about 90 mins to get into Dublin, but you can get down to Greystones for the DART handy enough. The primary schools could prob do with an upgrade, but there is a new secondary school which is excellent. Nightlife ain't great, with 3 pubs in the village and no restaurants, but Greystones is only 5 mins away and has plenty of good places to eat. We've been there for 5 years and love the place.

Re: Kilcoole, Co Wicklow: whats it like for night out, primary schools, things to do

whats it like getting home from the puds (all 3 of them) can you get a taxi?

Byrnes pub is by far the best, a warm friendly and cosy place. guinness is lovely there. 84 bus right outside, and lota of taxis. Colaiste Abhainn is the new secondary school, lots of different subjects to choose from. Lovely walks along the marshes in kilcoole (end of the sea road) to cure your hangover on Sunday morning!

Have to second Byrnes as the best pub by far (a lot of the locals refer to it as Doyles). Lee's isn't too bad for food, and the Breaches is ok, but Byrnes is the best. If you're living in Kilcoole, they are all within walking distance home, otherwise there's no shortage of taxis and the 84 bus, which usually runs to its timetable