Kids on Mopeds - help/advice

JP1234

Hope this is in the right place.

since Christmas day when a family who recently moved into the street bought their 2 teenage boys (age 13 and 16) Mopeds, everyone on the street has been plagued by them going up and down (or round and round - it's a cul-de-sac) from around 10.30 in the morning until after 11 at night. It's not just the 2 boys, they have introduced a gang of friends who take turns, along with a couple who also got motorised go-karts. The noise as you can imagine is enough to drive anyone mad(particularly the night-shift workers who live here) but also cars have been damaged by them crashing, gardens getting torn up as they just go right over them, but also safety issues, they are either on the road causing cars to swerve/brake or on the pavements with no consideration for pedestrians/smaller children. A neighbour living directly opposite them did try to appeal to the parents as they are trying to sell their own house but were met with not exactly abuse but certainly were told they had no intention of asking the kids to be more considerate.

I was under the impression that to ride a moped the minimum age was 16 and must have a learner licence so would it be worth making an anonymous complaint to the Guarda in the hope a visit from them might work, the local council will not act unless a formal complaint is made and naturally people do not want to be singled out as the complainant

TIA

If the noise level is above a certain amount of decibels (I think 85 at distance of 2meters) between the hours of 20:00 and 7:00 (you'll have to check exact ammount with guards) then the guards will can do something under disturbing the peace. The Guards will tell you exactly what the law is.

There was a debate about this a few years ago when the motorised scooters first came on the market and eventually the gardai came out and stated that yes they do need a license, therefore have to be over 16 and also they must carry motor insurance!

A few months ago the father in law was run over by kids riding one of these and had to have a hip replacement, a two week stay in hospital, physio and is still on a stick. I would report them to the Gardaí before something like this or worse happens.

Thanks for the quick replies, I think an informal chat with the Guards might be taking place shortly. I didn't know about them also needing insurance.

Strangely enough, I was just looking out the window and a learner driver was doing a reverse round the corner and one of these idiots came up behind her on the pavement then it seemed deliberatly went onto the road into her path,she didn't hit him but she looked shaken. I know the driving school she was using so I may give them a call in case the instructor wants to make a complaint about them too.

Sorry to hear about your F-I-L Clubman, were you able to find out who did it and give them what for? There's a lot of younger children on our street who up until now have been able to play out quite safely so I dread to think what could happen to them if they were hit.

JP1234 said:
Sorry to hear about your F-I-L Clubman, were you able to find out who did it and give them what for?
Thanks. The Gardaí were contacted and had an idea who was responsible but were unable or unwilling to take any further action.

If these bikes have reg numbers then they should be taxed, insured and the driver hold a licence. not sure about the go-karts, but as far as I know they should not be on the main road.