Kids Engineering Competition-any idea

some1gr8

hi everybody,

just need few ideas, i am working in electrical power company, and we have a kind of fun day for staff kids(10-15 years old) in our office, and the basic idea is to encourage them to choose Engineering for later stages of their studies,

we are going to have a small competition, i am looking for some ideas that what we can have as competition other than lago etc, something interesting to kids and little bit related to Engineering if possible, any suggestions ?????????,

Thanks

Perhaps you could give them some basic materials (paper, sellotape etc.) and get them to build the tallest structure they can?

Similar to the one above, who can build a bridge that can hold the heaviest weight.

If doing the tallest structure - could also make it more of a challenge, it needs to be able to hold an egg at the top (for outdoors! - but they love the mess)

Pasta bridge is good fun I believe..
http://www.jhu.edu/virtlab/spaghetti-bridge/

Or if you can have some space outside water rockets are a blast..
[broken link removed]

Maybe a paper airplane competition

I've done some K'Nex challenges and the kids have always had fun. Lego Mindstorm is great but expensive..but you've already ruled those ones out.

If you're interested in Electronic/Electrical ones I'll ask some people in work who do that kind of stuff all the time.. I'm sure they can come up with something..

If doing the tallest structure - could also make it more of a challenge, it needs to be able to hold an egg at the top (for outdoors! - but they love the mess)

Alternatively, designing a machine that can drop an egg from a couple of metres without breaking it.

There is some fairly cool engineering experiments here.