Key Post: Maternity Leave: pay and benefits - key post

B

babula

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Maternity pay???
While on your mat leave, is your employer supposed to pay you anything??? or are you suppposed to just get by on social welfare????

Also I have to take 1/2 days for the last few weeks before going on leave due to health resons. Am I entitled to social welfare "sick pay" for the hours I can't work.

Any info appreciated
Thanks

Edited to change title tedd

Pay while on Maternity leave etc.

Although it doesn't answer all your questions might be of interest to you.

Re: Pay while on Maternity leave etc.

Employers have no obligation to pay maternity pay, unless it is a part of the employment contract. Most private sector employers don't pay it. The public sector does pay it as far as I am aware.

An employee is entitled to take 6 months maternity leave. Maternity benefit will be paid by the state for the first 4 months. No benefit will be paid for the last two months.

Although an employer is not obliged to pay any salary during maternity leave, all other entitlements accrue. For example, even if you take 6 months unpaid maternity leave and 3 months parental leave, you will still be entitled to your full paid annual leave.

Brendan

Maternity benefit

Have a look at IMPACT trade unions web-site [broken link removed] which has a good section on employment rights.

Re: Actually I'm "O"

Just be careful about the length of maternity leave quoted in the IMPACT site. Recent changes i.e. Dec 2000 Budget, now means that maternity leave is 18 weeks plus an additional 8 weeks. Check it out on the government information site - OASIS using the links.

Re: Pay while on Maternity leave etc.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it :)
Babula

Maternity benefit

Can anyone confirm/list just what (major) private sector companies do pay additional maternity benefit ? I know some do - it certainly isn't something I would ask at a job interview - but it can mean a big loss of income when you need it most. I know, I have been there.
Can any of you well paid males reading this imagine having to live on $184 per week for 14 weeks ? And then on nothing for the following 8 weeks if you need to take them - i.e. if baby is sick / or not sleeping at night etc... It certainly is a problem when the woman is the breadwinner. Comments welcome.....

Re: Maternity benefit

Can any of you well paid males reading this imagine having to live on $184 per week for 14 weeks ?

Yes - I lived on €118 Unemployment Benefit per week for about 6 months last year after I was made redundant.

Disgrace

"Been there ( above ) " ... Well I am soon to be there ( redundant ) also - I think that is a disgrace - U pay PRSI all your working life and if you are made redundant you just get €124.80 ( that's what the current rate is ...) no matter what you earn before hand. We ( working ) are also supporting people who decide never to work ( and there are lots ). Clubman - Hope you are happy now with the overall overcome - i.e new situation.

Re: Disgrace

Clubman - Hope you are happy now with the overall overcome - i.e new situation.

Thanks - things are still precarious but I've been working for the past few months.

Back