Kenny Egan not wearing tracksuit for medal ceremony?

shesells

Am delighted for the Irish boxers for their outstanding performances this week and none more so than the captain Kenny Egan who led by example.

However I was annoyed by the fact that while all the other boxers in his medal ceremony were in the national team tracksuits, he accepted his medal in a red dressing gown with Ireland written on the back. I would have liked to have seen him in the team gear in the national colours.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

he won our only silver of the games, he can collect it in a Barney costume if he wants

he won our only silver of the games, he can collect it in a Barney costume if he wants

tut tut, dont you know Barney doesnt advocate violence, especially inter-racial violence.

All together now (asian girl, aryan boy, african american boy) ..... I love you, you love me etc. etc. (until you seize up from syrupy sweet overdose !!)

As his fight was the second last in the entire Olympics and just before start of opening ceremony, they had to present the medals a few minutes after the fight so there was no time for him to change into tracksuit. The bronze medal winners got their medals a day or two after they last fought - after the gold/silver bouts, so they were not in boxing gear when they were getting their medals.

Exactly. Can't believe someone actually started this thread

Exactly and in the few minutes between the fight and his win, he was consoled and then interviewed for RTE. Not sure where he would have managed the time to change. Fair play to him for his attitude and sportsmanship.

Exactly and in the few minutes between the fight and his win, he was consoled and then interviewed for RTE. Not sure where he would have managed the time to change. Fair play to him for his attitude and sportsmanship.

I agree, his sportsmanship was fantastic.

I remember years ago a few people were giving out because Sonia O' Sullivan didn't carry an Irish flag around on a lap of honour (I think the flag was too heavy for her, seeing as she was probably exhausted). Some people are just never happy.

OMG, you can never keep people happy can you. He was just after finishing the fight, and did an interview.

I think he did the Irish proud as well Berns and Sunderland.

Last edited:

The Chinese gold medalist found the time to change..

The Chinese gold medalist found the time to change..

possibly because he was told he'd be sent to a gulag or re-education camp (or whatever term the chinese use) if he didn't?

As was mentioned the Chinese boxer got into his tracksuit, who knows why but he did - which made our guy stand out like a sore thumb.

Never imagined I'd upset so many people by posting about genuine disappointment not to see our silver medalist in the Irish colours.

Again, hats off to the entire boxing contingent, they did us proud - in spite of some woeful judging. Egan's grandfather had it right, the judges were hiding behind the computerised system.